Korg NanoKontrol to control OT

Anyone have any input on how I may utilitize the NanoKontrol with the OT? A friend gifted me the first version NanoKontrol recently.

I however, also can’t find drivers for it (anyone have for mac?)

It’d be nice for volume fades/mutes

anyone?

You would need something to translate the USB MIDI to “regular” (i.e. 5-pin-plug) MIDI.

This does the trick:
http://www.kentonuk.com/products/items/utilities/usb-host.shtml

Alternatively, you could use a computer with separate MIDI Interface and route the USB MIDI in from the NanoKontrol to your “regular” MIDI Interface.
But not a nice solution.

I’ve got a NanoKontrol as well and have thought about it.
Still resisting to invest 100 EUR to get a 50EUR controller operating with my MIDI gear.

I plan to dive further into stuff like Arduino or Raspberry Pi - maybe there’s a <50EUR solution to that.

Just saw this: it’s already been done on Arduino with a USB Host shield:

An it’s possible with MIDIBox as well:

Yes it´s also a lot of fun to incorporate a USB MIDI host to any Live gear, by using “Only USB” devices you save a lot of space regarding PSU.

I designed my own prototype of a USB-MIDI to MIDI interface, with HUB functionallity too. At the momment I´m waiting to get the final quote and 1st prototype.

Once they are ready I will post it here in the forum and will offer a special price for Elektron users :slight_smile:

http://www.inspektorgadjet.com/cerebelusb/

Hi, it’s an old topic but two days ago I managed to use nanoKontrol with Octatrack via arduino and sparkfun usb host shield, just as is explained in the video of Collin’s lab. If anybody needs help setting everything up, just post in here.

I could use the help:)

I think it’d be nice to break out into a new thread if you wanted to say much about it, so there’s a general thread about DIY USB hosting topics, certainly something on my to-do list, I initially did it with a Raspberry-Pi, but ideally i’d like to take an arduino clone and no off-the-shelf shield and do a small USB to DIN device - the DIN MIDI bit is easy enough, the USB class compliant side a bit trickier

Either way, happy to read about it below …

1 Like

Or get an axoloti - plug your midi USB keyboard into its USB host port, plug your OT into its DIN out port, daisy chain your OT power socket into the Axoloti.
Run a midi thru patch on the axoloti

1 Like

i bought an iConnect midi 2 thinking that would work; it works with my iPad, but not nanoKontrol

hi! I’m working on a tutorial. As soon as i have it finished (maybe in the next two weeks, sorry for that) , i’ll open a new thread and also post the link here. Thanks for the interest and for the pacience!

I haven’t set up the nanokontrol yet, but I’ve mapped some other usb controllers to the octatrack with a rasberry pi 3 and a cheap usb/midi adapter from amazon using these instructions:

https://stimresp.wordpress.com/2016/02/08/using-a-raspberry-pi-as-usb-midi-host/

I was controlling parameter knobs on single channels. Mapping each fader to a track volume control would take more work to link each one to a different midi channel.

1 Like

Well, finally I made a basic tutorial and started a new topic. You can find it here
Hope it helps!