Korg Monologue

What I like most about the Monologue is how intuitive and fun the sequencer is (this can not be said about the MFB Dominion 1 I owned years back), the character of the filter (especially the resonance), the AFX scales, the size, and that it cost me < $250. I just play with it a lot too; it makes an awesome controller. I’ve been having a lot of fun using it’s sequencer with other synths. I think it has a really cool sound, a personally prefer it to a 303 because of the complex timbres you can get with the two oscillators and ring mod, etc.

5 Likes

Funny thing is, the iconic acid synth - TB-303 - was only single-oscillator, and considered a bit thin-sounding as a bass instrument.

Acid overload w/ Monologue, TT-303, TB-03

2 Likes

Shame on you!
Monotribe is so much fun!
It’s one of the best things ever, don’t underestimate what can be done with it…

1 Like

My brother bought a monologue a while ago, he let me have it a week, I was impressed.
To be honest I was a little miffed at how much mileage it has, it’s a great credit to analogue synthesis, you get an amazing sound, then flip a switch and get another, slowly turn a knob, more quality, very inspirational synth.
Just get that wood shite off the back!

I’m pretty shameless. I got it intending to play with it ASAP, but shit happened.

I do intend to have a play when time permits.

4 Likes

Was just joking with you, it’s a steamer!

1 Like

How is it compare to a BassStation 2?
Asking for a friend…:sweat_smile:

Different strokes. Both have their advantages, so it’s a subjective thing.

Monologue: almost elektron style sequencer, motion sequencing/plocks, VCOs, rawer, dirtier sound, 12db filter, faster lfo, simplified single envelope, waveform display, per oscillator waveshaping, cheaper, keyboard goes from E to E, battery powered, smaller dimensions.

BS2: limited sequencer (only saves 4 seq’s), DCOs, cleaner sound (though had pre and post filter drive), multiple filter types, aftertouch, 2 full envelopes.

3 Likes

I’ve decided to get one once the Kenton Pro CV-MIDI box is released.
Using AK to sequence CV, Gate + 2 CC#s via the Kenton, with trig conditions, all going into the Monologue, and using the Monologue’s sequencer solely for the four lanes of motion sequencing… I can’t think of anything more powerful for the $.

Hoping to score Monologue used + Kenton for $350

2 Likes

Which Kenton Pro CV-MIDI do you mean? Can’t find anything about a new CV box.

1 Like

and another with more depth:

I like that the pitch parameter is so flexible, with some auto-tuning to take out the headaches of CV pitch scaling.

Also gate delay flexibility, to overcome the “rising edge” gate issues lots of CV sequencers have which fusses up the conversion to MIDI. (my A4 required S-Trig to be sent as gate when I used the Doepfer A-192-2 CV to MIDI converter, because of this rising edge issue).
Should be a wonderful solution.

wish this were an actual product and not a mod:

3 Likes

I’d much rather have a Monologue without keys too. And a Microbrute, come to think of it.

1 Like

How would you folks classify the Monologue filter?
I know people prefer it to the Minilogue’s, but what is it most similar to?
How different to the A4/AK filters is it?

I’m seeking something for AK’s CV track, and would use Monologue via Kenton Pro CV-MIDI converter.
I like the idea of using Monologue’s motion sequence lanes as modulators only, with notes sequenced by AK, with 64 steps, modulus, trig conditions…

But a Therapsid MKII wouldn’t cost much more and has great modulation (3x LFO and/or CV aux input) options with multiple destinations. A multi-mode filter and a very different sound.

TherapsidMkII strengths: 3 OSCs, plenty of CV inputs, multimode filter, a modulatable ARP of its own. Small module footprint. Can take 2nd SID chip for wild detuned stereo sound. 3 ADSRs, ring mod option on each OSC, sync independent from ring mod, per OSC glide, 3 LFOs and each can be substituted for CV input (override). Multiple destinations per LFO or CV input. Patch randomizer.

Weakness: No per OSC level aside from per OSC envelopes. More limited for dialing in softer sounds.
Monologue strengths: 4 motion sequence lanes for modulation - can almost work like sound locks with the white noise wave selector, motion sequence smoothing (like parameter slides). With Kenton CV to MIDI converter I’d be able to send it 2 additional CV LFOs. Ends up with more modulation than TherapsidMkII, but less total destinations.
DRIVE!.

Weaknesses: requires $120-$150 CV to MIDI converter. No multi-mode filter. KB version only. Only one EG and it is limited. No square/pulse on OSC 2.

[quote=“bradleyallen, post:147, topic:32560, full:true”]Arturia stuff which seems to be more about how many features you can brutishly stuff into a box at the lowest price point. The layout on those things are so cramped and grubby. No thanks.
[/quote]

Actually I found the mini/microbrute to have a rather nice, intuitive layout. It doesn’t seem cramped at all to me, even given the small size of the synth. I used it live a few times and never really had any trouble with it. I did end up selling mine, and probably won’t get one again, mostly because I’m a bit over analog monosynths and they’d have to be really special for me to pay attention… the monologue seems to be right on the cusp of being interesting enough for me to think about buying one :smiley:

Well, as for the filter the Attack magazine reviewer said “…its sonic character seems to fall somewhere in between the classic Roland TB-303 filter and Korg’s own MS-10/MS-20 low-pass filter” and I think this describes it fairly well. The overdrive circuit is another big factor as well here because somehow I myself seem to want to use the drive with every patch I use.

1 Like

Just got my Monologue in, must say the sound is very impressive! Can’t wait to get home and fiddle with it to create some own patches. I hope this little thing will be a good friend to my Octatrack and Nord Lead A1r :slight_smile:

Also, that little LED screen is addictive to watch. Like magic.

For my setup, I was already really monosynth heavy. I really enjoy monosynths; especially, ones capable of unique and complex sounds. I kinda picked up the Monologue on a whim because I needed midi keys of some sort, and figured why not add all the cool features the Monologue has to offer for not much more money? After having it for a bit, I found I was playing with it and enjoying it more than my Abstrakt Instruments Avalon. I actually ended up selling my Avalon, and am quite happy with the Monologue to keep me busy instead. I do miss having accents, and the ability to have more than 16 steps per sequence. But with my main sequencer sending program changes, it works out ok.

It does that acid thing for me, but in a unique way I think. Motion sequencing pitch changes to the oscillator with ring mod engaged, can make very interesting sounds. It has more range, and to me, is really good for a darker/sinister vibe. I’m really into the alternative micro-tuned scales available too; they can really change the mood of your riffs, and make you go about things differently if you want.

If you can find one to tinker with for a bit at a Guitar Center, I think that would be worth the effort. I instantly knew how much I liked the Monologue only after a minute of playing with it. It took me about the same amount of time to realize how much I wasn’t into the Minilogue, which I immediately sold after I bought it.

5 Likes