Korg Drumlogue

I’m looking forward to picking one up cheap on eBay, making a legendary album with it and driving up the prices. :smiley:

8 Likes

They should’ve just given it the Volca Drum synth engine except with analog filter and overdrive per channel imo.

2 Likes

I sleep in the shed mate

5 Likes

Yeah, while I understand the dissapointment in certain aspects of the instrument, folks are a bit quick to be flipping tables.

That being said,

is exactly the sort of thing that sounds tasty to me. In fact, someone in the Perkons thread was joking that you could construct your own cheapo frankenstein version with 4 VDs and I have to admit I’ve been thinking about that idea way more than I probably should be :grin:

5 Likes

…last decade, this machine would have been a must have…

but still and anyways, looks nice, sounds korg trademarkish, which is good thing in this case, and since it features that open source backend like their nft, it will defenitly see some sonic add ons in the future…

speaking of future…last decade, this…errr, yes, mentioned that already…

The sequencer looks ace, but I kinda don’t trust Korg on this since the SQ-64 was such a let down.

But as for the sounds, I find them completely and totally meh. If the Analog tracks could be swapped out for 'logue tracks then I think you’d have something once some engines materialize. But between the small amount of sample memory, the so-so Analog voices and measly single 'logue voice I think this is a pass for me. I’d rather get something weirder, like a Blast Beats, or something more capable like a 'takt or even a secondhand Rytm Mk1, which can be had for pretty near the price of this thing.

And that’s a good thing because most reviews have commented about the front panel being a magnet for fingerprints and with a dense control panel that gets to be a problem.

1 Like

Dieter says delete.

3 Likes

I think SQ64 is ok - what do you consider a let down about it? Sure it is basic, but useful enough, no?

Yeah I think if I was looking at drum machines Blast Beats would be a contender, but this Drumlogue, Perkons, and Blast Beats are all interesting to me, in very different ways.

The way people are over reacting, you’d think Korg had made an Alesis SR16 clone :laughing:

5 Likes

I remember when I bought an ER-1. Everyone I knew at the time that was into music gear thought it was a bag of shit and didn’t mind telling me as much.

Now we’re all disappointed that this new thing isn’t an ER-1?

Because this seems to more or less be the thing people complained that the Syntakt wasn’t.

@CL516_CALVIN, banging demo.

8 Likes

The last Electribes suffered from glitches that occur when switching patterns their entire existence. Korg is still producing Volcas that can only store 16 1-bar patterns. I don’t trust Korg’s design choices or ability to address software issues at all.

4 Likes

The only thing this has on the Syntakt is the multiple outputs and sampling.

And price and SDK (programmable) engine for 3rd party synths and fx.

I suspect it will hit at 499 UK pretty fast (its 550 UK on launch) and that may make a difference for some people.

2 Likes

Sounds pretty good to me - esp the kick - I think the general negativity here is that people are feeling the pinch economically and are looking for reasons not to drop their hard earned into another bbox.

Personally I don’t want it to be ER-1… use the same synth architecture… ER-1sounds awesome, is super simple to program etc. imagine having 4 tracks ER-1 with knob per function. You could go to town with that one

I struggle to remember exactly what my issues were with the SQ-64; I sent it back pretty quickly. I know the note entry via the pads was one of them, I think it was very complicated to transpose the note range on the pads or something along those lines. I know there were a few other workflow/firmware issues I could recall if I played with one again for a bit.

I don’t think it’s a bad option at the price, just felt it could have been better.

and the only thing this has on the TR8S is… well, nothing.

2 Likes

For me it was the unreadable grid due to lack of contrast between activated and deactivated steps.

1 Like

Sounding fantastic. Any official release date yet?

Edit: Thomann says 10-13 weeks. $535 seems reasonable, but I think they’ll need to to come down a bit when competing with Elektron and others that have a much more accessable UI for only a little more $.

After listening to the other demos (and getting through those cringy factory patterns) I think it could be an interesting option as a second drum machine, probably not as your primary beatmaker (much like the ER-1 was in the 90s)… I think it could be a nice compliment to a Syntakt, for instance.

There are a lot of complaints here about menu diving vs amount of knob-per-function controls… but compromises had to be made (unless you wanted it to be twice as large as an OG Drumbrute) and I think their choices were logical. I can imagine it being better laid out for my purposes, but users are each going to have their own preferences and they obviously couldn’t please everyone. And (as Loopop pointed out) one can add their own cc controller to configure however they wanted.

Would I get one? Probably not. I think that if they made all the digital voices each be able to host 3rd party plugins, and had WAY more user sample storage (really, how cheap is memory these days Korg?) then it could have been a home run.

2 Likes

It’s just… alright (to me). Not bad, not great, sounds just… OK? But in a world of relatively inexpensive analog renaissance, amazing software and crazy number of choices overall, just being alright is a really tough sell. I think it’s around $200 too much in a pretty crowded market for what it is, especially when you can get a used Roland TR-8S quite easily for $100 less.

I have to admit I’m pretty spoiled though with the machines I already have and my views probably aren’t their target market. I don’t know that it’ll be a hit, but they’ll probably sell enough of them. I also wouldn’t be surprised if it became a quirky somewhat sought after machine in 10-15 years just because it didn’t sell great and people have rose-colored glasses about it.

6 Likes

Can confirm, having a morning coffee on the can.

1 Like