Korg ARP 2600 Reissue

I made that mistake once. Sold my MkII. Despite getting $4k more than I paid for it, I regretted it very much and ended up spending a lot more to replace it with the MkIII I currently own.

1 Like

Fair enough!

1 Like

Mind you, I’d never suggest that it was literally worth the cash. You could do so much more with what they cost, and without the repairs. It was just a personal thing for me. Tought me a valuable lesson and now I am very conscious of selling something that I’ll not likely be able to afford to replace.

2 Likes

3 x A4 MKII :alien:

1 Like

So how much would you say it cost you to complete a TTSH yourself?

I don’t know much about the whole TTSH thing apart from it’s a diy project. It’s sort of passed me by at the time.

1 Like

If only i had experience with soldering and electronics i would build a TTSH.

2 Likes

Understandable. Sometimes something is much more than what i can do. Its the relationship and stories you have made with that instrument. I am in my late 20s so i missed the cheap analog synth boom so I’ve had to resort to primarily DIY to do this hobby. I lusted over the arp so long. So as soon as i seen an available DIY clone i snapped it up. I have yet to see a good Synthi clone bar the Phutey. But it has far too much cabling. ( I am currently in convo with the kit maker , and it seems like potentially they have made a bus for the pin matrix , which would be a life saver , they just need one for all the front panel controls before i go near that cable nightmare!)

1 Like

I really want to build the 1601 sequencer clone. I’ve had plenty of experience (too much!) repairing the real thing…

2 Likes

I keep thinking about building a TTSH just for fun. I am not sure I’d want to build a Synthi clone. I’ve worked on my VCS3 enough not to be intimidated by the wiring, but I’d never want to recreate it. Yikes.

1 Like

It was my first big build. Definitely made some oopsies but i was able to correct them fine. The only comment i would make about these sorts of boards is that they are all made by hobbyist so they can have a lot of errors in them and the power rails aren’t always put in optimal places when they design them on PCB software. ( my father tells me this from looking at them. PHD in EE and 40+ in pcb hardware design).

1 Like

So no different than the classics, then! :crazy_face:

2 Likes

You are probably very right lmao. But regardless , they all sound great , i think my father is a bit like a proud brick layer in that regard lmao. But it is good to be disciplined too!

1 Like

https://www.dsl-man.de/display/TTSH/TTSH+Home
A fantastic resource. I think it cost me around 1.5k but i also had a very good soldering iron and test equipment. If you go in wanting to build one of these , you basically take this on a long term hobby. Which is a good thing. But from your repair experience i am sure you have that already! I would definitely take your time with it , as most of my mistakes where when i was very tired. The Deckards dream i built i think had 3x the amount of components. It was a real slog.

2 Likes

It definitely was fun/ a learning experience. I would like to one day maybe play performances with only DIY kits i have built. The next thing i have my eyes on is a buchla 208p.

The build for the 1601 clones doesn’t seem too crazy! If you are a dab hand at soldering , it should only take a clear weekend to build id reckon!

Also the synthi clones with the wires literally looked like the inside of a Swarmatron. Amazing sounding wacky device , however i think my head would explode building never mind repairing such an instrument!

Many thanks I’ll check that out. I just saw an article quoting a V4 coming out in August. Assembled and tested its $3400 or the full kit is $1500.

1 Like

Happy to help :slight_smile:

1 Like

Straight up dude, that’s why I never sell vintage synths that I scoop up because I know replacing them will be MUCH more expensive and it’s not worth selling just to afford some hot new gear on preorder.

1 Like

Have you studied electronics or you are an autodidact ? Im a software developer with no real knowledge of electronics except what i’ve learned from school when i was young (the basics) :slight_smile:

1 Like

I sold my TTSh in anticipation of the clones that are coming out, I really like the KARP and I look forward to the street price.

1 Like

My background is in software engineering , but shortly after working for a security company and seeing all the fun people where having designing and PROGAMMING cameras i realised for me (and what i find interesting) I messed up. So i have studied EE for a few years. Nearly finished my foundation degree in EE and telecoms (which comes in handy as RF and synth tech is very similar). I will be topping up to a full degree next year and pie in the sky do some research work to stretch my knowledge. I am predominantly self taught but from learning and studying under my father i also have a good bit of practical experience.( hoary nepotism).

The best bit of advice i can give you , is software and hardware is very similar. We had to base software on logic that was already there. So if you do get into it , you will get into it much quicker + when it comes to anything with microprossers and programming, you will be turbo quick compared to most EEs. Pick up a DIY electronics book , get your hands dirty. Its the only way to learn! Or get a teensy board and start adding schematics you find online and try to control them within that. Thats what I’ve been doing! I am now starting to build stuff in PCB software. But i am in my infancy of that. I think it’ll take a while of stumbling in the dark and it’ll click!

2 Likes