Koala Sampler App

I’m suprised at the lack of samplers for iOS. I mean, there’s plenty of them but very few good ones. Most of them are just the same algorithm with a different GUI.

Koala is one of the better ones as corny as it looks.

Can someone please reach out to the lead coder/developer of BM3 who left and just have him release the sampler itself AUv3, with none of the other garbage that is BM3? Just the sampler, that’s all I want….

2 Likes

I’m no Drambo acolyte but I think the flexi sampler is arguably the best one on iOS at present.

Segments is also pretty good.

I agree on BM3’s sampler, but on the other hand it’s pretty easy to just use the sampler and ignore the rest.

Hooked Koala up to my OP-Z yesterday and it works pretty well for straight sampling and syncing. You can also use the OP-Z’s tape track to remix Koala, and use the OP-Z mic to feed Koala.

If TE’s OP-Z app was Koala, but integrated so samples got transferred to the device, it would be just incredible. OP-Z midi is fine, but you lose a lot of the step components’ abilities when not working with audio direct.

Anyway, today’s experiment will be OP-Z + Koala + DigDugDIY’s audio splitter:

This is one that uses a canned algorithm and is terrible at time stretching.

Why would I deal with the rest of its crashing hot mess? Wouldn’t you rather have that in a AUv3 instance similar to segments?

2 Likes

I would. But I also never experience BM3 crashes. It was a problem several years ago, but it’s been solid for me for ages now.

Plus the BM3 sampler will almost certainly never be split out into its own app. Which is a real shame.

Was fine for a while for me, but last couple have mpbeen crash happy and shitty midi timing. Even if it worked fine, it’s still too much bloat for just the sampler

thinking about selling my digitakt because I use koala on my phone more often

2 Likes

A lot of people found a happy marriage with the DT sequencing koala

Can’t you do the same on the grid in Koala ? Or while live recording ?

It’s about to get even better. Update on the way…

7 Likes

Which?
EDIT I’m hoping Koala as I actually still own that :joy:

2 Likes

:joy: sorry, I did mean Koala!

2 Likes

Do you know when and what the Koala update contains?

2 Likes

As far as I know they did update for Android already and the update for iOS is on the way. You could set FX amount with new update

Amazing app. Imagine the 3$ app making me think about selling 850$ piece of gear.

3 Likes

Koala is by far my most favorite iOS app. I have multiple hardware options for sampling, yet I continue to come back to this one because it’s so much fun and simple to use.

I do wish it had a few things though- different time signatures and real-time effects per pad. If those were added it would be a perfect sampler, imho.

1 Like

Imminently and I have seen a couple of important things that are coming but I’m not certain if they’re in this next release or not. I’m not trying to be deliberately obtuse, I just don’t want to betray a confidence. The amount of work Marek continues to put into it is truly incredible.

4 Likes

Mine is Desert Bus. Koala is a close second.

2 Likes

I’ve never heard of that. I definitely don’t need another sampler, but now I’m so curious… I’ll have to check it out!

And now I know what Desert Bus is :smirk:

2 Likes

21 Likes