Koala Sampler App

Although a Samurai update it is hidden more like a Ninja :joy:

8 Likes

Koala is wicked and the update / samurai in app purchase is a really great addition. I’ve been playing with it all weekend on the couch, using sounds from my environment to jam out with it.

3 Likes

Has anyone tried the time stretching algorithms? How good does they sound across different sources / BPM?
Feeling like, with this update, it’s getting a bit into 1010Blackbox territory.

1 Like

much luv for ableton lite with this.

I like it! I just don’t like that I am so much on my phone again … :crazy_face:

These days I am absolutely in love love love with koala and what it does paired with my digis over a simple usb cable - especially the digitakt. did this update last night and its awesome

theres so much to love about this app with the digi’s. heres a few reasons:

-an instance of koala followed b y a decent AU eq plugin like fabfilter etc (and whatever other effects) is an excellent workaround for the absence of track eqs in the digitakt. super easy to quickly resample in and out.

-audio and midi over usb into digitone allows able to hear ipad audio out of digi, resample it in Koala and resample the koala back in the digitakt.

-empty koala slots, if triggered by a prepared digi midi sequence. will automatically sample the digi audio (meaning all the samples are perfectly sliced in timer) and continue to play it through the koala fx. This is a very similar outcome to using trig records on an octatrack or sequenced record machines (cant remember if thats what they are called) on the machinedrum.

-if you use a usb hub into the ipad that has both a digitakt / digitone connected. if it is the type of hub that allows the port to be stitched on or off you can quite easily bounce between sampling either in koala pretty much on the fly.

-koala FX app - also awesome, in front of Koala sampler (with audiobus) allows any of the koala fx (not just the record specific ones) to be usable to sample the digitakt with FX on the way in. sick

-the usb over audio leaves the physical audio in out port free.

-depending on if you use digitakt or digtone to sequence koala allows 2 different methods of polyphonic play styles per track to whatever taste you fancy.

long story i think Koala and the digitakt is the most perfect combination of any gear Ive ever paired. totally worth it. and with the samurai its even better. bi-directional sampling between 2 samplers is amazingly fun and creative

the one thing that gets in the way that i hope is included in a future update: if you are using external midi to sequence koala, whatever note is pressed will jump to the ‘edit’ window, the same it works on the touch screen pads. which is fair enough - but it means you kind of have to stop the sequence to find enough time to edit whatever is just sampled if wanting to trim / normalize etc. - the option to disable midi input selecting the current sample for editing, thus allowing just the touch screen pads for that purpose would be the ducks nutz.

and obviously proper AUv3 format would be next level.

15 Likes

As an android user, I’ve been really jealous of all these IPHONE apps. Was so excited when I saw that this is on Android that I immediately purchased. Excited to utilize it with my BB, and DT.

2 Likes

While not quite my kind of music making, this is a super fun app and really well designed. So fast to work with. The effects are great fun too.

I didn’t realise until last night that it runs in Slideover mode which is neat for quick access when using other apps, seeing as it doesn’t support AUv3.

Posted over here iPad Music Apps? - #3445 by tdmusic about using it with the app Web Audio Player, to capture samples from websites in real time (using Koala as an effect in AUM on its own track and routing audio to it via a bus, then keeping it on screen with Slideover - not too far from an AUv3 experience aside from state saving and multiple instances!)

I think SEgments has something like this. Koala’s developer seems to be super responsive on the Audiobus forum (actually I think he was around here as well) so you could suggest the feature…
Until it gets AUv3, I though that a good feature could be multi output - let’s say one per bank. That way you split them in types (ie. bass, leads, etc) and route them to different filters, fx sends, etc… Seems like a good way to play stereo loops along the DT

great with the OP-Z and USB Audio.

Controlling, receiving and sampling/resampling is a great pleasure, triggering aswell

1 Like

This. Such a breakthrough for apps.

2 Likes

Showed my wife the koala app today!

She said: sweet!

I guess now you don’t need all that other gear anymore… :scream:

That’s it, no more showings :see_no_evil:🥸

9 Likes

This app is really amazing, I’ve lost many hours on it recently, the ability to just drop a sample onto another means it’s great for sound design. Even building loops and stacking each element for further chopping is so quick and easy, and resampling with fx is a breeze.
A part of me wonders how much gear I’d actually own if this had been available 10-20 years ago.

1 Like

rookie error - should never let on to the other half that the massive rack of flashy lights and dangerous cabling in the front room can be replaced by their iPad.

1 Like

Nah, she’s a joker.

I don’t ask any questions about her shoe collection though :smiley:

4 Likes

Made some soul sample boombap stuff in the last few days.
Told my self to not sample records anymore, but it‘s just too much fun :upside_down_face:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CLgsfUFqRu5/?igshid=16tipwk5zxa8h
https://www.instagram.com/p/CLmzCNOqSRf/?igshid=158aqypd9q70s
https://www.instagram.com/p/CLy8fj5qqfn/?igshid=k9mw10ikbs1r

2 Likes

I’m pretty sure this little app just saved me splashing out on an MPC One! This being the android app too.

Earlier I connected the USB out from my xenyx mixer to USB in on my phone via an OTG adapter. Recorded 4 bars, it auto trimmed the start nicely. Set the sequence to 4 bars and it looped perfectly. Just now used the USB out from DN to MIDI trig the loop and it’s spot on.

A VERY happy camper! Great app!

6 Likes

That sounds so much fun.
Can I use Koala synched to my Rytm MKII as well via usb? I’m new to it, sorry for all these questions. What set up is needed on the app and what adaptor are you using on your iPad? Thanks a lot

I couldnt tell you for sure if it works with rytm as i dont have one to test, but i think it should as rytm has a class complaint audio upgrade…

all I use is the apple camera connection kit adaptor. lighting into the the ipad, usb into the digitakt or digitone.

1 Like

What controllers do you use with koala? I am considering an atom, does anyone have experience with it?