Octatrack and Guitar

If you plug the speaker out, yes !
Otherwise no, it’s made for that.

Try it. You record amp with a mic I suppose ?

1 Like

? Don’t get it

Usually I record stuff with Amplitube or Waves GTR because I can’t turn my amp loud at home :slight_smile: This would be a live band situation…

These speaker outputs would damage severely the Ot :

3 Likes

ah yes. Ok. No I won’t touch those.
So the fx loop send out is no problem
Edit: Thank you!

2 Likes

Btw. this was my first try with pickup machines and two flex using the same presliced and contidional trigged recording buffer + some lfo stuff. No guitar, but a rhodes sound from ableton… Made loops for hours :smiley:
Will use this stuff a lot in near future.

3 Likes

Same as @Unifono I dabbled with the setup tonight. It’s a revelation! I now have a slight routing challenge to run my guitar rig though my looper AND through the Octatrack. Probably need some A/B/Y splitters to pass the signal out to four separate channels.

The one quirk I did find was that my record buffer, sliced, played back the slices in some weird, weird ways; it sounded timestretched and wouldn’t trigger properly. I must have done something wrong…

And the best part is that you can mess with everything on the fly! Just don’t press ‘stop’…

The hardest part is definitely remembering the concepts and all the amazing things the OT can actually do!

1 Like

Thinking about routing, why do you want to run the OT output through your amp? Would you not split your signal before it hits the amp and then run the OT into a separate speaker?

I just found this little doodad that I’m going to pick up to split my signal path before it hits the OT:

1 Like

Since I’d sample the guitar after the preamp, I think the sampled stuff would sound better if I send it through the cues back to the amp speakers. I assume they contribute a lot to the guitar sound.
Then I could send the main outs to a PA and use some tracks for drums

1 Like

Best thing I ever bought for my guitar setup:

Rock Crusher Attenuator

2 Likes

For the best connections and sound quality you should know about the different signal types/levels.

In general you have mic level for microphones, instrument level for guitars, line level for most electronic gear including Elektrons, and speaker level.

There all the same type of signal but have different strengths and also impedances which is an electrical characteristic. Although you can hear sound when not connected correctly, the best signal with the correct volume and no loss of tone will be when connecting the same type of input and output.

For electric guitars high impedance inputs are used which help the current flow from the pickups to the amp, otherwise although signal may pass though, it will be diminished and not have proper tone… These are called hi-z or instrument inputs.

For the best sound quality and proper connection you want your guitar plugged into an instrument input of an amp, preamp, or mixer, and sent out a line level output to the OT.
The OTs outputs are line level so would like to be connected to a line level input like a mixer or audio interface. Your amp will have a high impedance input which the OT will be really strong for, if plugging into the amp it would be best to convert the OT signal to instrument level/impedance in some way, I haven’t done this though so don’t know the best way or device to use, if anything turn the OT way down first…

Basically you want to take note of what type of signal an output is, and connect to the same type of input. If it’s not the same its best to run the output through another device to covert the signal, whether it’s a little box made specifically to convert the signal, or a device like a mixer or preamp that can input one level and output it as another…

6 Likes

thank you. That’s very helpful

1 Like

Hi Corpusjonsey,

I came across your firmware and have a related question… I have the DMC-8 Gen 3 midi footpedal, which - as I understand it - is essentially the same as the DMC-6 Gen 3. Which version did you write the firmware for (Gen 3?) and do you think that the firmware would work on the DMC-8 Gen 3? I was so disappointed after receiving my pedal and realising that I couldn’t assign midi notes on the DMC-8 Gen 3 and that DD had stopped supporting the OT :frowning: Appreciate any help.

Well that’s exactly why I wrote my own! The pedals I’ve had are before gen 3. Inside the pedal is an atmel microcontroller. The size/type of the chip has probably changed between generations so the pinouts may be different. The code is super simple but you’ll need to open the pedal and find out what chip you have in there (if you’re comfortable with that). Then look up the data sheet and find the pinout and translate that to the code (the switches go to certain pins, the midi ports are connected to certain pins etc.). So pretty much you have to reverse engineer the pedal a bit to know how to connect things in the code. The firmware I wrote will most likely not work on your pedal sorry.

1 Like

Thanks for the reply. That’s beyond me sadly - looks like I will have to look for another solution (I was looking at getting a midi events Processor / translator but the cost for that + the pedal make it an expensive outlay all in all). It’s a shame, as it’s an otherwise well featured and brilliantly constructed pedal.

I’m sure these questions have been answered by now, but here are my contributions:

Obviously using a midi pedal for the pickup machines (can you recommend one?).

I use a KMI Softstep 2 pedal, with KMI expander for the MIDI DIN connection.

Then going from a mic’d amp into the OT? Or using a preamp? Using the cue outs for other pedals, and back into the OT?

I still play guitar, but after taking up viola/electric violin and getting more serious about those; as well as incorporating synths/samplers, I stopped using real guitar amps. I now use a full range powered speaker as my “amp”. A decent tube guitar amp with the power tubes (not just the preamp tubes) cranked is a wondrous sound indeed, but since I no longer specialize as a guitarist, it’s not worth the trouble for me.

A decent mixer with at least one aux send bus gives you a lot of options for routing audio in and out of your OT. Which way is the “right way” depends on how you like the results of each approach. Currently, I plug electric violin/acoustic viola pickup into one of the mic/preamp inputs of my mixers. The preamp boosts the pickup signal level to line level. The OT (at least MkI, which I have) seems to work best with line level (0 dB) signal - I don’t like the results with typical guitar level (-10 dB) signal going into OT inputs. I have in the past used a Fryette SAS tube-driven pedal as a preamp, probably my favorite overdrive pedal. It doesn’t have guitar cab simulation but nevertheless has a full-bodied overdrive that I love with both guitar and electric violin, and it sounds great as clean preamp for acoustic viola, with the gain turned down.

The aux send output of the mixer goes into Input A of the OT. The OT main outputs go into two mic/preamp inputs on the mixer, instead of the aux returns or the line inputs. The reason is I find the output level of the OT MkI to be a bit on the quiet side - I like how it sounds in the mixer with the preamps. I don’t know if this was changed on the MkII but on the MkI, the Volume knob only affects the volume on the headphone out - you have to pull up a menu and adjust the gain to affect the Main Out level - so much easier to just use preamp gain knobs on the mixer to handle this, during the stress of a live gig.

It is certainly possible to route the Cue Outs to other gear, then route the output of that gear back into the OT. I’ve thought about doing that with the Eventide H9 or my Cocolase. Instead I am saving up for a new mixer that will give me more than 1 aux send. Then I can put the OT, H9, etc. each on their own aux busses - giving me a lot more control over the signal levels of each unit in the mix.

4 Likes

BTW, I’m coming in the opposite direction of some of you - started out using the Octatrack as a looper/audio mangler for viola/violin/guitar, using the sequencer only to play audio slices.

It’s only lately that I’m learning how to use it the more “normal” way - to trigger drum samples and stuff like that. I’m just started learning how to use trig conditions, fills, etc. and it’s just easier to understand how this new stuff works when the sequencer is playing basic sample trigs instead of heavily processed slices of string instrument audio.

2 Likes

The Kmi Softstep 2 ! :slight_smile:
I have a Roland FC 200, Yamaha Mfc 10 seems better than mine. Kmi 12 Step seems interesting too.

I use the cue outs mostly to send to my external analog delay.
My guitar enters the OT with some NI guitar rig processing but not delay, it’s monitored from a cued pickup track and ready to record. So my pickup loops have a nice analog delay that’s settings can still be adjusted and loop smoothly, also by uncueing I mute but get a delay tail…

There’s a little more too. Instead of the cues being plugged directly into the delay, I have them go into a stereo mixer channel. From there it is sent through an aux to the delay. This allows me separate volume/eq for dry cue, another aux for me to route elsewhere, and some control over wet/dry for cues…

Any time I cue anything there is no gap in the audio as it is removed from OT mains and routed the the delay, I don’t have to turn an aux up on the mixer as its already routed.
Since my mixer has an alt bus, I can send anything from it to the OT by pressing a button. By cueing the OT inputs I can easily route anything to the delay, or the other aux…

If I wanted to record the delay I just press the alt buss button on that and it is sent to the OT, watching out for feedback loops…

So on my mixer I decide what is sent to OT simply by pushing a button, and by punching different buttons on the OT I switch its monitoring/recording track/external routing setup…
By adjusting the cue mixer channel and auxes, I set up what cue will do for that session…
:monkey::loud_sound::sparkles:

6 Likes

To clarify just in case:
Among other things, this makes it so my instruments are being monitored through a pickup track being sent to external fx. Since the audio hits the pickup first it only records the dry part, so the fx are always adjustable and not burnt into the recording, but they can be if you want by routing them back from the mixer…

3 Likes