Knobs don't work well after 5 years

Hi,
I’ve used my A4 mk1 for 5 years now and the knobs do not work well anymore.
If I turn them slowly it works well, but if I turn them fast it also goes a bit backward sometimes.
I supose the device needs some kind of maintenance but what to do and how to do it?
Regards,
Alex

you can test encoder ‘smoothness/response’ in the test mode - it should give you a visual trace so you can compare

you should discuss options with support, or explore replacing the encoders which sadly do age

just be very cautious about any unofficial intervention advice - there may be interventions that can help, but support will advise on that for those particular encoders

if going diy : the parts are cheap and the process is conceptually straightforward, but only for those capable of extracting the encoders properly, it’s not for those without the right tools/experience - so having a local tech do the de-soldering may be an option, but very reasonable Elektron rates for doing this are often discussed by users in many topics - there are topics with diy videos if you dig around - there will likely be some on ‘maintenance’ too where teh encoders are opened up

don’t attempt any ‘maintenance’ until you talk with support - there are at least three types of ‘knobs’ that appear on Elektrons and they all require different remedial care - general ‘cleaning’ advice does not apply to those particular encoders, and especially no WD40

the move to the newer more durable endless potentiometers was driven by the failure rate of these encoders, they are not going to last forever like a potentiometer might if looked after

6 Likes

Thank you very much, I’ll follow up with the support.

1 Like

This topic may give you better idea how to approach the subject.
https://www.elektronauts.com/t/push-rotary-encoders-for-machinedrum-analog-4-mki-replacement-part/49408/5

2 Likes