Kitten for OSX

cool - started porting this to raspberry PI, not sure if worth the effort though if it doesn’t get usage… It’s pretty good functionality I think

Oh yes +1 for raspberry PI, as it should work as well on an Organelle from Critter & Guitari (it’s an ARM Cortex A9 running an Arch Linux).
And I have a mac but didn’t try it yet. :slight_smile:

hm cool, can the Organelle act as USB host?
the only dependency is ALSA RawMIDI via libasound2-dev.
otherwise a simple C++ UI-less program.

edit: if you are good with C++ lambdas get in touch - I’m kind of a noob with C++ and trying to figure out a thing with lambdas.

Edit: I see that the Organelle does not have a USB host plug - not sure if it’s worth doing this with the MIDI ports, would be a lot slower… also it’s hella expensive relative to a nimble vanilla rPI which is all you need for this, as Kitten is controlled from the Rytm…

edit: I was mistaken, Organelle can USB-host. Cool! Still super expensive for this particular application.

eh, wut ! woh … sweet, I’m in :+1:
exciting times - but is this only for high latency operations . ? !
if there’s scope for subtle midi hijacking in quick time, then I’m curious to hear about the method/technologies with a view to developing other ideas (& learning new chops)
my v1 pi is underused (basically USB midi hub once in a while) - but to have the incentive to twist that towards midi pal territory could be quite useful - if latency isn’t a deal-breaker
but as for risk/reward, who know’s - I’m excited by nearly-computerless ventures, plus there’s scope to easily hack hardware control on top too

my hello-world was a USB midi-clock to Korg sync-pulse converter via GPIO, it’s tight AF.
using a PI v2 here, but this is really basic stuff, it compiles & runs quick enough on the pi.

Nice to have would be an interactive debugger connection to the Mac, i.e. similar to iOS development, not sure how to set that up…

I definitely need to beta test that for ya, you know, just to be sure there are no catastrophic bugs lurking - clock dividing / swinging options ? :wink:

Yes, the Organelle can USB-host :slight_smile: (and actually doesn’t have any MIDI Din ports). It works well with the different USB MIDI compliant controllers and interfaces I tested. Not tried yet with an Elektron machine.
A UI-less program would be ideal. Unfortunately I didn’t touch a C++ line of code for about 10 years. I code in Java for my job but I have some knowledge in functional programming. I can try :slight_smile:

it’s pretty much just a syntax thing, afaik lambdas are relatively new in C++. Asked a question on stackoverflow: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/36429162/asynchronous-request-response-using-lambda

Basically just trying to replicate that ObjC request-response pattern in C++. It has proven to be very convenient for Elektron-sysex things. I can’t use the ObjC code on the PI…

Ah ok.
It seems you have your answer and a lambda can be used as a callback in C++.

Hi @void,
I made a small experiment this weekend to test MIDI out from the Organelle to the AR. It worked really well :).

Hi void - I’d like to try the second version of Kitten, but this link seems to give me the same version - 1.01(2) again?
I can change Kits but the FX SMP, ENV and LFO don’t do anything.