Kit and sample organization

I was wondering about best practices for kit naming on the MD.

I’m still new and up until now I’ve been naming kits with bpm. But, since learning to use the sampler I’m filling up samplebanks. From what I can tell samplebanks are fluid with respect to kits in the same way that kits are fluid with respect to patterns. I’ve read elsewhere on the forum that it makes sense to pair banks with samplebanks. Ia Bank A = samplebank 1 and so on.

Anyone care to share their approach?

1 Like

So I definitely try to keep my banks and snapshots matched up. Bank 3 goes w snapshot 3, etc.

What I do now tho instead of naming bpm in the kit, is once I make a pattern that works good at a particular bpm, I make a song out of that at the correct bpm.

It forced me to start using song mode a lot more which is a really great feature on the MD, so I’m not complaining.

I am also generous about swapping banks / snapshots a lot as I know I have 128 of each. Usually a bank / snapshot is either an entire project or at least a good portion of it.

2 Likes

i’ve tried several approaches, any of which might work depending on your workflow and goals. but at this early stage i’d recommend not committing to a given approach yet because you might radically rethink your relationship to the instrument as you learn, potentially more than once. i know i have.

actually the samplebank-per-bank tack you’re considering might be a great way to go for awhile. it will give you the flexibility to use a few different samplebanks, yet help keep you from getting confused. if it makes sense to you, try it – that’s usually a good approach with the silver instruments, which have the virtue and burden of being configurable in so many different ways.

2 Likes