Kilpatrick Audio new CARBON sequencer!

Been out for a while… I got mine in July.

I’m thinking about selling mine seeing as I’ve used it twice since I got it. Apart from those two times, its never been touched and is just sitting there in its box minty fresh.

1 Like

did you like it when you used it?

You were pretty hyped for it. Was it let down or more like me where I’m all excited for gear but when it arrives just find it easier to use what I already had?

1 Like

Did you find it a bit limited to manipulation/transformation of a pattern ? or is that because you’re not found of sequencer ?
I hesitate between this and and Pyramid, i think i made good choice…

What did you end up getting?

Hey
You need to know that these are two completely different products “philosophically” and in practice.

Carbon is “old school” like an Akai ASQ-10 in that you need to feed it notes to sequence from a keyboard or iPad or some other midi source. The only other option to get note data into a sequence is to use the “magic” parameter which generates random (scale quantised) notes for you.

Pyramid is completely “standalone” in that you can enter notes, chords, cc’s etc directly from the device and also run it “old school” as above.

The Pyramid is ultimately more flexible in that regard but the Carbon has its own tricks (namely the predefined “patterns” which are like sequence “masks”) and very fast sequence start/end point manipulation that you may prefer.

Research carefully - they should not be compared as like for like.

1 Like

Recently had both pyramid and carbon for a bit and didn’t click as much as I’d hoped with pyramid. I enjoyed the features and fx but in the end I found the piano roll style of doing things and almost endless page swapping outweighed its unique features (which are the fx mainly) it’s very flexible but reminded me a lot of using a daw to sequence.

Carbon to me feels right, the text is rather small but not a problem fir me and as soon as you understand the different areas (PRETTY MUCH ALL ON A SINGLE PAGE) it’s really intuitive… the patterns are like preset grooves that fire gates/note triggers instantly but you can edit from the screen… I find these really inspiring and jumping through (keeping the same scale) is a beaut feature … also the song mode seems really easy in that you choose scenes (sequences with gate/note values) and tell it how many times to repeat or loop and where to go next… tho I’ve not tried it yet, in fact I have yet to open the manual as it’s really simple if you have a basic knowledge of sequencers… there are things I’m not exactly sure on yet tho as have learned with trial and error.

You don’t need an external input source to add values or write sequences as You can turn off gates per step and enter note values by going into step edit mode (a mere button press) however if you want to play a live sequence and external controller is necessary.

Overall the carbon is up my Strasse a pleasure to use up to now, and (;most importantly;) it looks lovely on the desk too, with a really high quality feel/finish especially compared to pyramid which i found a tad non descript and dare I say boring x

(Only used it a few times yet so apologies if I’m off with any details)

1 Like

Oups sorry my post isn’t clear at all. Finaly, I bought the Pyramid. And the Zillion, after.
I’ve been charmed by Carbon (still I am), but Pyramid where most adapted to my needs (no computer,;and Elektron sequencers haven’t all functionality I wanted)

Yes you are perfectly right, I do share your point of view, that’s why, depending on my needs I bought Pyramid. But still actracted by Carbon. I like the sequencers as much as synths or drummachines.
Maybe one day… l’occasion fera le larron

1 Like

Anyone that can tell a bit more about the Carbon? Is it possible to use it with the AK or/and integrate in Ableton Live?
Someone that sells a Carbon? :slight_smile:

Maybe you should just gather cash and write you on the waiting list for a Cirklon :smile:

C’est déjà fait !
I wait for it… in 11 months now :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yeah, that’s my man :smile:
Btw… How much did you pay for it ? Did you already pay the whole thing or will you pay once it’s ready ?
I am very close to getting me one as well…
:wink:

I don’t paid it for the moment. I send them a mail to be on waiting list. Barbara, his wife, respond few days after. She told me that the sequencer will be paid when it will be ready (in one year). She told me too that if I can’t bought it or if I change my mind it won’t be a problem, considering the waiting list.
I just have to wait and spare some money each month. I will drink less in pub and I my bank won’t see the difference!
For the moment I don’t realise, I will have a beautiful Christmas gift in 2017 !
Now I will forget that and one day I will be awake by a mail. Finaly I find the procedure nice.

1 Like

For the price, I will pay about 1500 (Barbara told me 1145€ approx, plus VAT and shipping). I choose the simplest model (no CV), cause I have no modular nor want some (just have a semi-modular, but A4 or Pyramid does the job).

Thank you very much for these information.
Think I’ll have a conversation with Barbara :smiley:

Got a Carbon in the end a few days back, early days yet but between it and Pyaramid there are a lot of different features but also some very similar limitations. Both really only can have 1 “song” in memory at a time in that you can’t really do a whole seamless live set of different parts, which I find kind of strange given that both devices are aiming at live use. To elaborate on this a bit, both devices only have 1 set tracks in memory at a time, 64 on the Pyramid and 6 on the Carbon, on the Pyramid you have “sequences” which are mute groups of these 64 tracks, on the Carbon you have 6 scenes which are variations on these tracks which can include length, startpoint, transpose etc.

Both of them can get a fairly broad range of variation from these tracks, and both offer fairly good real-time editing and manipulation of the data in these tracks, but you cannot have tons of different patterns in them at a time, so for me I feel they are both best used for composing rather than extended live sets.

I think they are both very good sequencers, both have some quirks, but both can be very inspiring to use and both are well thought out, the Pyramid is probably better suited to rhythmic and experimental or complex stuff, the “P-lockable” FX and recording of CC’s, euclidean modes and drawing control data using the touchpad etc are really innovative, note and chord entry are very simple right on the surface. The Carbon is much simpler but geared a little more hands on manipulation of the actual sequences and they become more real-time tweak-able which lends itself to nice odd-meter acid and techno type stuff very well.

I sold my Pyramid to buy the Carbon, I do not regret it, as Carbon seems to offer more what I am looking for at the moment, but I would not rule out getting a Pyramid again in the future, Squarp customer service is second to none, and they seem very committed to improving the Pyramid and adding lots of new goodies at regular intevals.

9 Likes

Do you still like your carbon @darenager? I’m interested in one but hesitant due to the 6 track limitation - which seems unreasonable to me

I actually ended up returning it, I did not really gel with the UI and there were a few sync issues, the feature set is quite limited, and now Kilpatrick have stated there will be no new features added - unless users program them themselves and then they will consider adding them (!) a shame because it showed some promise but ultimately did not feel like a completed product, at least in the sense of say the Pyramid or Elektron gear.

Thanks for the insight . That will save me some dosh