Kids on Op-1

Left the desk for a few minutes.
Found this once back…

I had some debrief this morning…
The kids knew they were the source of music, that each dot is a note and that they can produce different notes with different key (my son has been learning piano for a year now)
The aim of the game was to capture a lonely dot, which seems obvious now that I know it.
The beauty of it precisely lies in the fact that only one note is staying, giving some musicality to what was a chaotic mess.
For those less familiar with the OP-1 than my kids, “Tombola” is a note sequencer. I barely used it so far because of its high random factor.
My kids just showed me an interesting way to use it :smiley:

11 Likes

Cool :slight_smile: I love doing music with my kids. The eldest (3yrs) has filled my rc300 with some insane guitar pedal randomness! Nice to sit back and watch minds work that aren’t weighed down with years of consciousness :wink:

2 Likes

Ahaha. I see what you mean.
And it’s fantastic when you can find and save some happy accident. But it’s so great when they actually know what they are doing !

For years I felt uncomfortable with letting them act crazy with the encoders of 1k€-worth instruments… I now feel it’s time to teach them how to treat them with respect, and have some fun !

They know (and ask for) the OP-1 for almost a year now, but this instrument has been made to seduce kids, whatever their age :wink:

A few days ago I started teaching my son how to program some drums on the AR.
I saw him play with the basic sequencer of a “Hello Kitty” pseudo-computer, so it was about time ^^
Now he knows the very basics of the sequencer, and we had fun yesterday with the filters + plocks…
Such a pleasure to see him nodding the head on his own beat :smiley:

1 Like

Rad. Can’t wait til my kids are old enough to tinker and have basic understanding of what they’re doing. They love all the flashing lights and noises/effects so hopefully they’ll be begging to do music with me, rather than the other way around :wink:

1 Like

Well, they do love the Mutes on the AR.
And my daughter is fond of the second octave on chromatic mode, of course.

But my son has just turned 7, so we watched the old episodes of Star Wars and he learned the basics of sequencing. Seemed natural…
:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Sounds like good times :slight_smile: Wish my eldest daughter was old enough to get in to Star Wars in time for The Force Awakens next month :wink: she can’t even handle the Fox chasing Peter Rabbit in that cartoon though so I’m not gonna try just yet…

I see things like this and I regret:
A) not having/wanting kids
B) not having (but wanting) an OP-1

3 Likes

Automageddon, right now they are kindof fighting each other while shouting.
Pros and Cons :wink:

But mostly Pros I’d say.

OP-1… Well it’s pretty cool, I must admit :smiley:

1 Like

OP-1 is the truth.

i always recommend it as a first gear purchase for newcomers to synth land. its massively fun and contains constrained versions of other features found in more expensive/elaborate setups.

makes me wonder when elektron will implement a full color screen with a color coded ui to make their operating systems a bit more enjoyable and intuitive for new users

thanks for sharing!

1 Like

…is this an op-1 patch playing or an external synth? Do you remember the synthengine/patch? Sounds really cool…

“Mais je commence a avoir faim…IL FAUT MANGER LA!!!” :joy:
This kid has good priorities in life! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Little French kids are so cute!

No, this is my dear Monomachine speaking trough Eventide Space + TF
It’s the patch I was “working” on. I’ll try to give you the data, but the Eventide do a lot :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
I sent back the iCon keyboard, so I use the OP-1 as a controller nowadays.

1 Like

Ahaha and this one knows something about having her priorities served :smiley:
Glad you guys enjoy this little moment… I felt like sharing…

@Automageddon, here is the patch (entries not mentioned left to default)

----- Synthesis (DPRO/DDRW) DigiBank = PolyVeets
WAV1=WND4(D44)
MIX=10
WAV2=MALÄ(D55)
TIME=0
BR1=0
WID=20
BR2=0
TUNE=0

----- Amplification
ATK=0
HOLD=0
DEC=106

----- Filter
BASE=0
WDTH=21
HPQ=0
LPQ=45
ATK=93
DEC=43
BOFS=0
WOFS=-9

----- Effects
EQF=64
EQG=-21

----- LFO 1
PAGE=PTCH
DEST=2OCT
TRIG=FREE
WAVE=TRI
MULT=16x
SPD=56
INTL=0
DPTH=5

----- LFO 2
PAGE=AMP
DEST=PAN
TRIG=FREE
WAVE=TRI
MULT=8x
SPD=45
INTL=0
DPTH=45

----- LFO 3
PAGE=FILT
DEST=WDTH
TRIG=FREE
WAVE=TRI
MULT=1x
SPD=64
INTL=0
DPTH=10

Eventide Space on Blackhole and Pitchfactor on Vintage Delay, I love these effects so much, can’t get tired of them !!! I can affirm I’ll never get rid of them, for sure.

I don’t know how this popped up on my forum viewing, but I’m glad it did.

I share @Automageddon s sentiments fully, though

My kids are all about the OP1 chopper game.

3 Likes

My bad, I was looking for this patch and found the digibank I had been looking for so I wrote it in the post. The whole thread surfaced because of this editing.
The patch os not very good, in fact. Eventide Space was doing all the job !
:smiley:

I like that it popped up, we could use some more five year olds around here… :slight_smile:

1 Like

I hadn’t actually listened to it, just did and I really like the vibe they got going!

1 Like

I just can’t get enough of it :smile:

Now my 9yo son knows how to play Chaplin’s “Smile” or La Tordue’s “Valse Petite”, and more that that, feels much pleasure playing the piano! I am so happy of this!

My daughter got her first music lesson yesterday. Knowing she’s constantly singing, I can only hope she’ll have enough will to learn!

2 Likes