Keystep + A4 sync question?

Guys, is there a way to send clock from A4 to Keystep but still use the Seq/Arp of the keystep?

I own A4/OT/Rytm Mk2’s.

I want to keep the Tempo of the dark trinity while controlling my A4 using the Seq/Arp of the Keystep.

If that makes any sense :roll_eyes: since both the Arp and Seq could be achieved by the A4. Just curious if that could be done though…trying to always complicate things :woozy_face:

There might be some discrepancy in your question.

a) send clock from A4 to Keystep
b) controlling the A4 using the Keystep sequencer

I would use one unit of your setup as the master clock and all others should sync to it. From your setup I would chose the OT. Since the clock is not on a particular midi channel, it’s global, it can be routed directly or via midi-through to each unit.

You could connect lilke this:

• OT midi-out --> midi-in keystep
  • keystep midi-out --> midi-in A4

But it would make not much sense to me, to use the A4 clock too, if the A4 shall be controlled by the Keystep seq/arp.

BTW don’t you like the sequencer or ARP function of the OT or the A4? I would use the keystep as keyboard only in this case.

I think it may work out nicely to drive the Arturia clock via CV pulses from the A4 - thus keeping midi conflicts and transport headaches out of the loop - this would leave the Keystep free on the auto channel and as a bonus (i suspect) probably doing arps which are in sync with the A4 beat (this often comes up as a feature request for those with sloppy timing)

downsides : A4 would probably need to be running to send out the pusles (brief 2v max impulses will do the trick) - the Arturia won’t swing - and you need a spare CV channel

might try this myself

@SoundRider You got me to mess around with the ARP of the OT for the 1st time :slight_smile: Never really bothered to check it out since A4 has its own ARP. But i have to say that its cool if i ever got a synth which lacked the ARP feature.

Well my setup is normally clocked with my RYTM since i prefer to constantly play/pause from the RYTM. Octatrack is on the side and mainly use it to sample A4, RYTM and DFAM. Can’t see what the OT could bring more to the A4 and RYTM that they already can’t do by them selves (inside the studio). Maybe it does to the DFAM…but then again theres no CV out on the OT.

As for my setup - Rytm Out > A4 In > A4 Out > OT In
This leaves me with the problem of how im gonna hook up the Keystep to the A4 since the Midi In of the A4 is taken. Unless i try what @avantronica suggested.

On another note: Ive read that if you’re sampling the A4 and Rytm from the OT you should use OT as the Master clock, as timing could be slightly off. Is this true?

not quite - where OT as Master becomes critical is if you rely on pickup machines - they apparently don’t like slight changes in incoming midi clock

1 Like

I use pick-up machine when i hook my DFAM to the A4. Will run some tests on that.

any work on how i can setup my Keystep to play A4 since my Midi In on the A4 is already taken?

Use a midi-merge unit.

1 Like

oh cool, something like these?

Exactly …

before you buy anything, there is an option for the keystep, which makes its midi out a midi thru
(its in the keystep software) so you could route:

rytm midi out > keystep midi in

keystep midi out (now thru plus out) > A4 midi in

you would get midi sync from RYTM plus played notes from keystep into A4 midi in

1 Like

NICE! :+1: will try this out tomorrow.

1 Like

Did anyone get this working? (CV sync out from A4 for Keystep)

I want to use the arpeggiator on the Keystep (beat synced arpeggiators rock) and I’m having problems with syncing it via MIDI and then sending the output back to the Octatrack/A4/other gear.

Just to add - I’ve tried it with the default settings (clock sync out from CV-D, keystep switched to sync mode, set to clock sync with the default settings) but it seems very glitchy so I’m not sure if I should change the voltage or clock settings on either side.

Does CV send transport commands or just clock? Haven’t really played around with CV much.

This FAQ will probably assist with the setup.

Thanks. I’d checked that out but was more puzzled by the A4 side. I’ve got the sync working with some glitches but I’ll try the LFO method on the A4 and see if that’s any more stable.

As it’s working but glitchy and there are number of different methods I wanted to know if anyone know which was recommended/more stable for this type of sync.

In the Arturia MIDI Control Center, what do you have the Sync Clock In/Out set to? Going to try and set this up using ‘1 step (Clock)’ and ‘Clock V-Trig 32’ on the A4.

I can’t even get it to clock at all no matter what settings I try. :expressionless:

Are the dip switches in the right positions? The empty squares symbolize the required positions (not the filled squares).

I’ve tried both positions. Based on what you’re saying, I should have dip 1 in the bottom position and dip 2 in the top position. Power cycled after each try. I’ve got the A4 CV-D set to Clock 32 V-Trig 2.0V (based on what Avantronica said further up the post).