Kaoss Pads as transition loopers

Totally. That and the ivcs3/ moog whatsit app. Most of anything I use on the iPad is years old. But yeah Samplr!

You can use computer keyboards with iPads, and most of the Mac shortcuts work, so command tab cycles through the open applications without touching the iPad.
(Does not cycle through open AU plugins)

1 Like

I wonder if any iOS DJ apps might be suitable.
Loops / tracks / syncd Via ableton ā€¦ i cant remember if Traktor has only tracks or also loops etc.
Or use loops in aum wav player.

So many options.

Most of them sync with Ableton link. MidiLinkSync works fine for hardware. Timing is pretty spot on, but gotta time things right otherwise you can end up a bar off.

And how did you build this? very interesting.
Also: So, one button scrolls through your apps and then one to get to the app. Very good thinking

Donā€™t bother building one. Thereā€™s a billion out there.
https://www.etsy.com/listing/235682175/rgb-keypad-for-osu?gpla=1&gao=1&&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=shopping_us_b-electronics_and_accessories-video_games&utm_custom1=ab8bb310-750b-4a99-a83f-f57adfc07f58&utm_content=go_2063581587_76452867735_367965825564_pla-353987697789_t__235682175&utm_custom2=2063581587&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIpLa5nYHs6gIVENbACh1DmQePEAQYASABEgJiwPD_BwE

You need both, because you have to hold down the command key and tap the other one to cycle, just like on a regular Mac keyboard.

2 Likes

Wowā€¦thanks. Loving this idea

Totally, I get that. Iā€™ve been pretty diligent about getting super deep into my stuff for a while. For like 2 years, I pretty much concentrated on the OT. Super glad I did that. I would suggest really practicing with Elektron stuff. Until they are second nature. Then Move to whats next thing.

https://vimeo.com/manage/441873745/general

I rarely touch my iPad live.

2 Likes

Yeah I would be confident enough to say I know my Octatrack inside out - my first Elektron machine (not that I had/have that many), coming from Electribes (EM-1, ER-1) was a huge step in terms of both sound and complexity. Fortunately I had bandmates that had Machinedrum and Analog Four, so I had some knowledge of their sequencerā€¦ but then again, we all know how deep OT can be <3

I think Iā€™ve used it in every way possible - maybe with the exception of pickup machines, will I donā€™t care all that much about, but Iā€™ve certainly used in many occasions

1 Like

unforunately it says ā€œNot Authorizedā€ when I click the link
Iā€™m really curious! any chance you can give me permission? :nerd_face:

I just read this thread which is very interesting and goes far beyond the subject of the Kaoss Pad.
After trying many options (Pionneer RMX, Ipad, Kaoss Pad, Octatrackā€¦) the best solution, by far, isā€¦ the Xone DB4 (or DB2). Mixer with very good looping capabilities and sound quality.
But it is expensive, heavy and bulky (and only 4 beat loop).

A new solution that would have appeared? Maybe the SP404 MK2?

My dream :star_struck:

2 Likes

I used to use kp3 with ar and a4
Used it for transition
Very nice and portable.
Love the possibility for long quantized looping of my boss rc500 with my mixer these days. Also for live performing, where you hook up a looper and use 2 line channels of the dj mixer is very pleasant

I was not fan of the KP3 sound but itā€™s fun to useā€¦ Never try the Boss RC 500 but specs look good.
For live performance, i split my master : 1 direct to first mixer channel and 2 to looper to the second mixer channel, so i can always have both and make nice transition; i think itā€™s your way too ?