Just Released My Third EP Using Digitakt + DAW

I’ve been releasing a series of EPs this year, all made using my Digitakt and finished up in my DAW (Studio One, for those interested to know). This third EP in the series has a blend of production approaches, with one song being almost entirely written and produced on the Digitakt, one entirely done in the DAW, and the other two are a blend of both for various elements.

I’m curious to know if anyone can guess which is which? Because I spent a lot of time producing on the Digitakt over the last year, I think I’ve developed an approach that translates very well to both OTB and ITB. Let me know your thoughts, and as always feel free to ask any questions about the production!

3 Likes

Sounds really nice…great chill vibe, smooth progressions, varied drums, all in a very clean mix. Definitely inspiring to hear!

It’s a bit tricky to tell what’s been made where, which is great. It’s always awesome when the production method isn’t legible in the finished track. There are pads on all of the tracks that feel to me like the DT would struggle to make on its own, but also the drums and one-shots on all of the tracks sound like they could have been programmed on the DT, although with effects added in the DAW.

If I had to guess which track was made ITB it would be synesthesia, and OTB it would be calloway, but really hard to tell either way.

Great job and thanks for sharing!

1 Like

Thanks for the kind words Dave! I’ll hold off saying which are OTB/ITB in case others want to take a stab at guessing, but it sounds like you’re listening for the right elements.

I will say that I sometimes used my guitar pedals for multi-tracking out from the Digitakt, so several of the pad sounds may have been created with a Meris Mercury7 (an epic lush long reverb). That could explain some of the sounds that would be challenging to make on the DT alone. Otherwise, those sounds are likely created ITB.

1 Like