Just pressed BUY on Syntakt

Cheeky title, I know. I’m intrigued, I’ve been wanting one but the sticker shock is real.
Please tell me this is the box I want if I love my DN but can’t gel with OT, plus I just missed out on an MD for an okay price!

2 Likes

Yes, it’s the closest you’ll get to the MD in the current line up in terms of sound and approach (i.e. many macro based machines), but with modern sequencing and UI, and some great sounding analog voices. The UI is basically the same as the DT, so you’ll have no issues there (much simpler to use than OT or MD). The FX track is a really cool extra that shouldn’t be underestimated.

I say go for it! If you can buy it somewhere who let you return then that removes the risk of you not gelling with the sound, but honestly I loved it.

…apart from sampling, u won’t miss a thing…since apart from sampling it’s all THE biggest swedish hits and evergreens in one fresh takeaway box…

and since ur already firm with the dn, u gonna feel right at home on the st…no worries…

1 Like

Heh. There was an open box for $69 off so I couldn’t resist the deal. Stoked for it to arrive!
I guess I’m looking to try the machine-based workflow and vaguely get in the MD ballpark.

1 Like

Ah awesome, I love those little pushes that force you to do something you’ve been thinking about for ages! I’m sure you’ll have a lot of fun with it. Don’t be afraid to push machines out of their comfort zone, do weird things with the fx track, etc. Just like the MD, it has a lot more range than you might initially think.

5 Likes

I bought one and didn’t get on with it but still think it’s a cool box and you will easily shift it if you don’t like it.

My live setup has been reduced to ST + OT.
ST can do so much!
@tdmusic is right, it’s a good idea to try to push each machine far from its comfort zone. This is not a simple drum device.

7 Likes

It’s worth it just for the SY Bits Machine and FX. Everything else is a happy bonus.

2 Likes

I see what you did there

1 Like

Just received ST! Pretty hyped, it took less than 24 hours to get to me. At a glance it seems really cool but gotta wait until the end of the work day, alas.

@LyingDalai just curious, how are you using the OT? MC707 is currently the centerpiece of my setup as it’s hooked up to Ableton.

I use the OT with long samples (sometimes my own modular tracks) that are sliced in 64 pieces. I love the Slice mode, and choking slices agains each other.
I try to get some melodic background or noise out of it, with some FX on top.
Sometimes ST is sent to OT input to add FX on top, but most of the time I’ll send OT in ST input to use the AFX and it’s amp envelope and sculpt further what’s coming from the OT.

I often send OT to the Microcosm as well, it’s nice for pad-like mashup and other glitches.

I found I rarely need to use the Micromonsta, but it’s usually the synth I bring for jams and live setup. Then I also bring the Keystep37.

But all in all, OT+ST is usually largely enough. With 20 tracks you can even have several patterns in 1.

3 Likes

So, been almost a week now. Haven’t spent any time with ST over the weekend but overall I have to say I really like it so far.
Coming from DN adapting to the workflow was really fast and I feel like this is what I was looking for all along. I’ll try to post a clip in the ST music thread in the next few days but it’s an odd feeling to actually feel like I’m making music. That said I’m not sure I fully grasp the FX track yet…

1 Like