Just Picked Up An A4mkii, Now What?!

Haha! I love that guy!

An example (I already posted too much) of Multi Map vs OT’s arp, with @taro drums sound pool. You can modulate Sound locks or Multi Map sounds with macros only.

You can record drums in A4 with Multi Map, they become Sound locks. Even if you record 4 tracks, it is still possible to play poly synth over it with minikeys, external keyboard, OT’s arp, the voice stealing isn’t shocking and it feels like you have more than 4 tracks !

5 Likes

hi @sezare56, off topic sorry but you seem to like multitimbrality a lot.
just discovered this one beast yesterday, 8 independant voices!!!
quite unique in many other ways!

1 Like

A second A4 would make 8 too!

Thanks, I’ll check that, for the moment I’m more interested in a 2nd Micromonsta or a DN.
I forgot MnM of course!

1 Like

Yes > Kit. Keep that button combo on your mind constantly! That was the biggest hangup I ran into at first (and occasionally still do…). I saved the project just fine, then went back and it was nothing but 4 tracks of sequenced initial patches.

2 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: A4 Feature Requests

If you feel stuck on the sound design front, grab all the free soundpacks from elektron.se to draw ideas and inspiration from. IME the A4 has its own quirks and approaching it can be challenging if you have a lot of experience and expectations from using other analog synths. The oscillators, envelopes and filters do abit of their own thing and need getting used to.

1 Like

Great advice, thank you! Since this this is so new to me, all the sound design stuff is still exciting and new, but in time I can see the need for more options, though I’m keen on making my own patches.
Right now, I gotta focus on the ‘boring’ stuff, like figuring out the basics of integrating this into my rig :slight_smile:

1 Like

Did a first attempt at a song. Crappy little disco number to learn more about the A4. Made some patterns. Some were sampled into the OT. Everything was sequenced by the OT since I don’t know enough about the A4 yet :slight_smile:

https://soundcloud.com/the-snipecatcher/skating-by-elektron-analog-four-mkii

4 Likes

Gotta say, I really love the A4 so far.
Hit my first couple weird brick walls…

One was a stupid mistake and I really don’t know what I did, but I totally lost a couple hours work…bummer, but stuff like that is bound to happen when learning a new machine. Bought the ask.video tutorials as I really can’t find too much by the way of great tutorials online. It’s on the mk1, but practically everything applies the same.
Problem two- when slaving the A4 to my OT and building up a fairly dense pattern, the first bar is a jumbled mess, then by bar two everything sounds great. I kinda like the way it sounds for this jam I’m working on, but I’d like to know how to fix the problem :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’m considering ‘buying’ the AskAudio A4MK1 too. Is it worth it for an A4MK2 owner? Or are there too many differences regarding workflow, functions, etc?

I recall something about having midi in/out set to midi+USB can cause data transfer fluctuations? I think It was when I was loading samples to my AR, or controlling AK transport with the AR.

Well, I’m an MK2 owner and I bought it :slight_smile:
There will be a few times where you’ll have to search a different button, but most of the same concepts apply. Watching a tutorial that uses the MK1 makes me glad I got the MK2, just because it’s a bit easier to navigate. I’m not debating which one sounds ‘better’ because I’ve never tried an MK1.
But yeah, I’m finding the ask.video thing to be helpful

1 Like

Thanks! I’ll check that out!

Thanx Snipecatcher! I’ll start my course tomorrow.

1 Like

Tried every midi config I could think of on both the A4 and the OT, but the first bar is still wacky…only thing I can think to do is mute the first 4 bars before coming in.
One other strange thing is the first note of a synth line doesn’t come in on the A4 until the first pattern repeat…lots of little mysteries to unravel!

this could be due to the note coming slightly to early so it isn‘t recognized in the first pattern cycle. try to quantize it if it isn‘t on the grid. haopens often to me when live recording

3 Likes

You’re probably right, so I’ll check into that!
Sometimes with a new machine, I’m a bit overwhelmed at the big picture and overlook small, obvious things like that :slight_smile:

1 Like

your wacky first bar is strange. is the OT clocked as well or is it the master?

It’s the master right now