Just ordered OT, whats next..?

Click the link it comes with a tutorial

3 Likes

+1 on Merlins guide!

And then Iā€™d head over to macprovideo.com, subscribe for one month for $10 (I think), and watch their OT tutorials. It really helped me get on the right track.

I just ordered Rtym mark 2 and DT Keysā€¦hmmmmā€¦Octatrackā€¦then I would never be bored!

One thing that really helped me, on top of reading the manual several times (in bed), Merlinā€™s guide, and Cuckoo vids on lunch breaks was daily OT time. Once things start to click, repetition will help a lot. Itā€™s super deep but stupidly accessible, but remembering how to get to things quickly was a little difficult in the beginning if I stepped away for a few days.

2 Likes

Has anyone given what order to learn things in? Iā€™m curious.

1 Like

I started making sample chains 6 weeks or so before my first OT arrived. It helped me understand the OT logic, along with reading Merlinā€™s guide.

2 Likes

Awesome, I also have AR mk2 and DN and it is a perfect combinatioā€¦I am thinking to add an OT too

1 Like

Mk1ā€™s pop up in classifieds all the time for 600-700 euro, and while thatā€™s not pocket money for most people thatā€™s crazy good value for the price. We can just imagine the cost of the holy grail that is the OT2/mk3/whatever IF such a thing ever becomes available. In other words, these are not really comparable. Of course, Iā€™ll be buying a new OT iteration as soon as Iā€™ve exhausted the possibilities of my current one in 2320 AD.

1 Like

I donā€™ t think there will be a new Elektron machine for at least a year, there will be more software updates.

1 Like

Learn this last.

8 Likes

Recent OT buyer here as well.
The first couple days are daunting for sure, but it seems you kinda learn exponentially with this thing. Probably because so many aspects of the machine are interwoven throughout.
Definately helps, for me, to have a defined role for the OT since there are SO many things it can do/roles it can play.
Ive been mainly focusing on the thru machines, running my Rytm through with scenes/effects and having a blast.
Sampling the master channel is a lot of fun, and makes track transition really enjoyable

2 Likes

Haha.

Iā€™m still very much in the honeymoon stage with my OTMkii. Owned it for a year and reread the quick start probably 3 times already.

Revisiting it again, I see I made some amateur mistakes trying to figure it out on the fly. Not going to happen with this thing! Saved samples outside of the AUDIO folder. Etcā€¦

Iā€™m finally buckling down and working my way through the manual. Made it about 30+ pages and had to stop.

Then I started Merlinā€™s guide (as I remembered it being mentioned a lot), and Iā€™m definitely going to finish it before I start back on the actual Elektron OT manual.

Merlin filled in 75% of the gaps I had reading the manual. In fact the manual seems to spend ALOT of time reiterating the same ideas without even explaining what the basic concepts are. Itā€™s kind of maddening.

Do yourself a favorā€¦Merlin ALL THE WAY to start.

Iā€™ve been making an outline as I go through both. Basically copying it by rote. Haha. But itā€™s slowly creeping in. :crossed_fingers:

Yhe, I have to say that Merlins guide does makes the most sense on overall structure and use potential of the OT. I am now going through the manual and looking at every option just to get familiar with all of it. Will get back to Merlins to start an actual project.

This thing is deep but so far its been easier to understand then I anticipatedā€¦ just need to spend time with itā€¦ and lots of itā€¦ lol