Just found a killer feature on the Analog Heat

Look it Up in the Manual. Page 73 for MK2.

2 Likes

Don’t have a mk II, I’ll DL the mk II manual then thx

Page 69 in Mk1 Manual.

Here: analog four manual OS1.23 - Elektron
PDF https://www.elektron.se/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/analog-four_manual_OS1.23.pdf

1 Like

If you’re feeling envious of this but you have iPad then fabfilter Saturn within Auria can do similar stuff with different frequency bands having their own distortions / mix levels. MIDI-able too

3 Likes

Both Synths have two Filter…

the filter can be used to direct the frequency destruction to specified ranges

I’m sorry but I dont think this is true since the filter is after the distortion in the signal path. Thats probably my only gripe with AH. Its great because you can filter some of the added harmonics out after the distortion but not influence the effect the distortion has, the signal is always distorted to the same degree no matter what the filter is doing. At least thats how it seems to me I’d be happy if someone shows me I’m wrong.

edit: Oh I didnt realise this was such an old thread! XD

It’s true because you can use the wet/dry knob to have some stuff go through unaffected and then target certain frequency ranges to add Heat’s destruction to that part of the spectrum only.

2 Likes

how when the filter is post destruction?

As I understand it the signal is destructed the same whatever then the filter shapes the distorted signal afterwards

Thats not the same as a multiband distortion which applies distortion to only a certain frequency band because the filter is pre distortion

You are correct, but when the effected sound is mixed with the original sound then the effect appears to act only on the selected frequency range. This is close enough to a true frequency-specific effect for many people to be satisfied.

2 Likes

Yeah, I use the LFO’s a lot on the filter and wet / dry mix. From extreme cut ups (random LFO to effect volume, only switching between 0 and max volume) as well as adding subtle, billowy distortion to pads or feedback. You can add a huge amount of cool dynamics to tracks with the Heat.

1 Like

its completely different, sometimes it may have a similar effect.

one of the great things about a multiband distortion is you can apply the effect to just the higher frequencies and won’t add harmonics to the lower ones which can give you a very messy result. The heat can’t do this.

So what I’m saying is the filter can be used to direct the frequency destruction to specified ranges is not true and afterall thats the whole claim of this thread, the filter needs to be pre destruction for that.

1 Like

Sure. Thanks for elaborating. You’re right on that front. Could be a good feature request idea, though I have no idea if the signal path is fixed in hardware and cannot be adjusted to place the filter before the distortion circuits.

Yeah sorry to burst your bubble, I was a bit disapointed when I found out but its still a great thing and you can tame the harmonics produced with the post destruction filter which is great and I would miss if it was otherwise and I’d prefer the filter as is if I had to choose.

I’ve got a feeling it probably isnt possible to change the signal path in software, just a guess, and would they do it anyway? IDK

1 Like

Filter before the circuits has the ability to cut off any noise introduced in de high end of the spectrum common for distortion and high gain signal paths. I like noise so filter before and after will be my choice.

Studying the signal flow I don’t understand why the eq section is before the wet/dry. Why would i want a blend of the original with a eq,d signal?

Edit: just need another Heat in series . Solved

Haha yeah, or a Sherman fb or Vermona filter or something would be nice