Just finished my portable studio case

Thanks for the detailed insight. Really loving this case. I will be looking into these solutions for sure.

Epic… I second that idea on maybe speakers in the lid… this inspired me to make something… needed a winter project…

1 Like

Looks amazing!

I’m currently trying to fit a similar bunch of synths (dt, dn, typhon, bluebox, ju-06) into a magma road case, with great difficulty.

Got some great ideas from this so thanks!

Nice! It’s like a modular synth only a 1/3 of the price.

Can you say more about using a Pi as a MIDI hub?

I have fairly deep Linux experience, but am having trouble finding a good footing in Linux audio & MIDI.

Looks awesome! I love the idea of a compact yet powerful portable hardware studio. Would be excellent to transition from writing at home to playing live too. Excellent idea and great execution

I just finished something similar but ditched the foam (frustrating to cut…) and went with an aluminium profile instead. Not sure about the total weight, but will use a trolly for it. Really pleased with it so far :sunglasses:

10 Likes

You’ll find an automated script to replicate my pi setup here: https://github.com/sinedied/pi-midi-host

In the readme there’s link to all references I used. What the pi does currently is connecting all midi input to all outputs, so basically connecting everything together.

I’m currently working on a more compact version using a pi zero 2, and plan to create a custom hat to add real midi IO (in addition to USB) with 3.5mm jacks using GPIOs. I also have on my to-do to create a web interface to configure the connection matrix for more flexibility.

1 Like

That is an impressively compact project.

Did you go with Ruby over Python because you prefer the language or the MIDI libraries?

I went with Ruby because someone already wrote most of the code for it :grin:
I’ll probably rewrite it in Node.js when I’ll implement the web UI for more convenience.

Here’s a WIP of the Pi Zero 2 version, which still retain the same capabilities in a much more compact footprint. I simply added a hat with 4 USB ports, still need to figure out how and where to add the 3.5mm midi board and design a 3D printed enclosure for it.

1 Like

This is amazing! Really inspiring build:)

I was wondering what cables you are using? I have some plans for a similar project, but finding angled cables that will fit in the Bluebox is a challenge.

That’s really cool. I take it the speaker is just basically a portable monitor?

I bought most of my audio cables and connectors on AliExpress, and soldered a few ones.
Here’s what I used with the blue box:

The most tricky cables to find were the angled midi ones, I used EBS ones: EBS CÂBLE MIDI PLAT À TÊTE FLEXIBLE 58 CM - Woodbrass.com

1 Like

Yes, I use it for quick bedroom jams, works well enough :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

After a lot of trials, pairing, experiments… I present you the v2 of my studio case:

I ditched the OPZ as it was a pain to make it work in the setup, and crashing too much so I don’t trust it for a live setup, and causing USB issues. I also removed the NTS-1 as it was a productivity killer, with too much to experiment with (custom osc, fx…) and no save.

Syntakt was the missing centerpiece, and now that all digis have foldable keyboard with scales, I don’t need the Korg nanoStudio. I was also quite rigid to configure, with no ability to switch midi channel on the go and requiring a computer to setup.

Also added for welcoming additionnal controls, the Faderfox EC4: entirely configurable without a computer, with great flexibility and multiple switchable setups, it’s the perfection compation to the Bluebox and for adding direct performance controls (MW macros for the digis FTW!).

The extension box is still here to allow plugging extra gear with midi in/out, USB (w/ midi) and audio in/out. Only the sync out was lost due to ditching the NTS-1.

This setup is now stable as I made a lot of battle tests to ensure stability, ergonomy while keeping focused enough to be productive :slight_smile:

For the curious, I took a WIP shot while I was rewiring almost everything in the bottom layer:

Here are the routing details for power, audio and midi:

Power routing

Audio routing

audio

Midi routing

Now if you excuse me I’ll be off for a few months to work on my live set…

19 Likes

Thanks for sharing! Looks super clean.
I tried to do the same but the case i bought was too deep, preventing me from really enjoying it as a portable rig.

I am now trying to fit multiple power supplies under or in a pedalboard. Tedious…

What made this case possible was using USB power for everything, as it really reduce the amount of space needed. Now that we have USB power delivery, with adapters it makes it easy to power any kind of devices, even power-hungry ones like the Syntakt.

I’m trying to make a decision between polyurethane and polyethylene foam… looks like you went with the polyurethane pluck and pull type, is that just what you had available to you or was it a conscious decision?

Really awesome set up man, v1 looks great but v2 is so streamlined it just leaves nothing to be desired honestly. do you have any concerns about the raspberry pi overheating? I noticed you did not opt for a fan or a heat sink (not sure where the fan would plumb out to but you could probably figure something out if you had a small diameter pvc tube through the foam with a second puller fan on the output at the side of the case).

This is made for a pi, came with some little heat sinks and I think I paid $6 for the kit.

Thanks for sharing your update, very impressive and motivational as far as getting back to business.

2 Likes

I use the 2 layers of pluck n pull foam that came with the case, a Magma Carry Lite XXL case, I did not though out this further.
Everything is so packed anyways that it’s not much shock-proof, for bumpy travels I think it would need an outer case with a good amount of absorbing foam. But for moving around the house and put it in a car trunk it’s good enough I think.

Regarding the Pi, I used a Pi 3 that’s underclocked and undervolted, given that it’s only doing midi routing there’s almost no heat generated so I’m not worried. There’s also hidden space arount the PI air vent (it’s in a case) to create airflow below the speaker, so it should be good.

1 Like

sounds good, I only thought of it because when you use it for midi, the last thing you want is a latency to develop between your gear 30 minutes into a performance :slight_smile: