Just another Dub Chord Tutorial with the A4 :-)

Hey guys,

one of my subscribers just recently put out a wish on one of my videos; asked me if i could do a tutorial for some Dub Techno Chords on the A4. So i thought: Why not?! And here it is:

Just in case some of you might still not know how to achieve this :wink:

Cheers and good night all \o/
subbz2k

14 Likes

I Like your videos, keep up the good work.

1 Like

Thanks for sharing. I like the style of your tutorials. I had some static noise during spoken passages, but that may have been my crappy headset at work.

No, there is a bit of static, sounds like USB noise cos youā€™re using OB, but no worries, can hear you fine and great tutorial!

hey guys :slight_smile: thank you very much, glad you liked it!

the noise comes from the A4 yeah. but also from my crappy microphone, you might have noticed. its all good with your headset @Hans_Olo :slight_smile: @123alastairj is right, there is noise in the recording; unfortunately.

1 Like

Really nice work on your videos. You deserve more views. :cocktail:

1 Like

I hear the noise but I doubt very much that Overbridge is the cause - have never noticed anything like that when Iā€™ve been using it, either in renders or realtime.

thank you very much mate! i really appreciate this comment, and ā€¦ im working on it :slight_smile: glad you liked it

2 Likes

@benway: Have you tried maxing out the Loudness on a recording from the A4/AR? Using a fair amount of compression, gaining it up and maxing it out with a Limiter in the end? Which is what you do when you want to produce contemporary electronic music. Try it out, you will hear the noise as well.

Sadly, thats pretty normal with OB i think. Analog circuits have a certain noise to them too, thats why it adds to that. I have the same noise on the Drumbrute as well as the Volcas then im recording them through OB. I had less noise in this video though:

Here im only using samples, apart from the Basstom which i use for the bass. And although it has less noise thereā€™s still noise left. So itā€™s either OB, or the A/D conversion - or its just normal, i dont know. Need to record from the real outputs when i finally have a real audio interface again. But this will still take some time; at the moment i got used to it already :-/

I donā€™t think Iā€™ve ever seen anyone complaining about the overall sound quality before, though. There was the issue some people had with bursts of digital noise, which I gather was to do with connectivity issues in 1.0 and is completely different to whatā€™s in your first video above.

And to be honest, Iā€™m not really hearing any noise or artefacts in the second video you posted much beyond what Iā€™d expect from youtube compression - the first video above is of a totally different order and seems clearly to me not to be overbridge related. Maybe it was clearer before you uploaded?

Now that I think of it, I did have an intermittent issue when I first installed 1.0 with usb interference noise, but my personal experience of overbridge in general since 1.1 has been that itā€™s at the level of a fairly competent if unspectacular audio interface - granted Iā€™ve been in the habit of tracking using my UAD Apollo so I can use the unison plugins at source rather than eating my DSP when mixing, but I had even been thinking that it wasnā€™t worth the effort because Iā€™ve found the results directly from overbridge quite acceptable when Iā€™ve used it. Iā€™m really not one for crushing material with compression/limiting, though.

How are you using it? Just the main stereo outs? USB hub? Iā€™m using overhub without any noticeable issues and I normally have my Rytm set up in an 8 out config for multitracking, wondering whether you could be experiencing a gain staging issue, maybe? Also, you probably know this already, but the rytmā€™s bitcrusher can introduce some quite pronounced digital noise artefacts even when itā€™s not turned particularly high.

Nice tutorial btw, and sorry for the thread derailment.

Hey man, its all good :slight_smile:

I am this ā€œcrushing the material to the maxā€ guy you are talking about :wink: Im using the Main Stereo Outs, sometimes individual outs and its connected to one of the two USB Ports my Macbook has. Levels (Track and Patch) are always pushed to max on the Rytm or the A4 and mixed accordingly (i actually recommend that in some of my Tutorials :wink: ). Second Video also has this noise, i can clearly hear it. Its just not as pronounced as in the first one :wink: Oh - my Voice prolly added to the Noise Floor in the first video too, thats another issue. Thanks to my cheap microphone :frowning:

But yeah, if you keep the Dynamics in place, everythings fine. Send me an audio file you recorded, let me mix it to max Loudness and i can almost guarantee that i get this noise carved out as well :wink:

good tutorial for the basics :slight_smile:
ItĀ“s also nice to play 4 note chords with 1 track using both oscs + 5th sub osc with pulse wave mod and bandpass filter.