Jonwayne drops into r/elektron with some octatrack hip-hop

Oh shit, I’m only on my second Octatrack, and I’m thinking about selling it. Guess I have a long way to go.

1 Like

Oh man. You my have a buyer!

For some people, it takes longer time to understand the OT is a keeper :wink:

2 Likes

been watching a ton of JonMakesBeats videos lately and it has really made me appreciate the art form of chopping samples.

Darren makes it look easy, so much so that it emboldens me to chop myself in similar fashion, only for me to fail miserably :smiley:

6 Likes

More than the technical aspects, for me it’s the nuggets of wisdoms that Darren drops and the relaxing feeling that I’m having a chill afternoon session with a knowledgeable friend who’s been through the periods of introspection and self questionning I’m having and can guide me to a more enjoyable hobby practice.

For example, he said once that he just does it for the joy of doing and has abandonned his requirement to do the sickest beat every time because it was killing the fun. There’s also a video about why he prefers to have a synth with 7000 enjoyable presets than one with no preset and a lot of designing to do, since it’s not the part he likes and it dosen’t help him make better music.

Pretty much the Bob Ross of beatmaking to me!

12 Likes

This was so well written. I share the same thoughts. :+1:

2 Likes

still every beat is a banger on his channel :slightly_smiling_face:
Love watching him

2 Likes

Beautifully said.

3 Likes

Ya I’ve been watching his videos a lot lately - down to earth, straight forward and his beats are solid. My only complaint is that he makes it look so damn easy! :laughing:

2 Likes

That and he keeps introducing himself with a new name for every video. I still don’t really know who he is? Who are you really Billy, or is it Edward, or is it Tony, or Bernie, or is it really Timothy? And who is this Jon person?

1 Like

Haha I love that bit - his editing is real tight tbh the videos are subtly very well produced :ok_hand: Effortless like his music :sweat_smile:

1 Like

To be reals, Michael’s skills with the OT, and crate digging are on point, but after just coming across his vids, I find his calm and easy going nature the most inviting part of his videos. I’ve come to really appreciate people with that sort of demeanor as I get older. The reals.

7 Likes

I thought his name was Darren… lmao

3 Likes

His name is Garth.

3 Likes

Last name is Brooks

2 Likes

ChrisGainsAlbum

1 Like

Jon have you tried out those iphonik apps if so what were your thoughts?

2 Likes

this mf is gifted

1 Like

he does his thang fosho!

Returning to the roots this morning…

Still a dope album, a decade after.

9 Likes