It's time to go hardware compressor

Similar to the Heat without being Elektron there is the OTO Boum. Analog VCA stereo compressor + 4 distortion modes + side chain + gate + Midi

1 Like

what do you think or do you have experience: is the Boum the one to put on the master channel as bus compressor? You can set it to 33ms attack and 100ms release, which I guess are the common settings for bus compressors. But does it the “glueing things together” job well enough? I mean it´s even cheaper then the Warm Audio Bus comp and only 1/3 price of Heritage Audio Succsor.

thanks to @tumulishroomaroom:

I watched some yt videos about the overstayer modular channel and the m-a-s (and ofcourse some more saturation harware units like the culture vulture or the vsm).

And I had the chance to lend a Oto boum and tested it against the UAD bus comp and even shadow hills vst. Every time the Boum wins. Maybe that’s due the input saturation, the Oto boum is defenitly not a clean unit. Only using the UAD SSL and the Soundtoys Decapitator both full wet going to have similar effect / same ballpark. But the Boum definitly adds a lot of charakter already when using subtle and that can sometimes even sounds a little harsh, when already to much top end is going on in the mixdown.