It's time to go hardware compressor

It doesn’t sound aggressive or grabby… it’s always more ‘polite’ and holds together fairly well. At the other extreme it doesn’t sound bad, but it doesn’t sound great either. There’s no grit or character in that regard. Its sweet spot is 2:1 or 4:1 with 2-4dB of compression and maybe 6dB at most (at least how I’d use it).

It’s not the compressor I’d want to slam something, then mix it back with the original. I prefer things more along the lines of a distressor and for that I’m fine with software like Arouser, Kush Novatron or several others. But that might be my personal limitations as I’m coming at this much less as a single part mixing tool, but rather 2 bus/mastering.

1 Like

Keep in mind there is no input gain on Creme (strangely the case for most comps). In some cases it’s almost impossible to get stronger compression when feeding it with moderate signal. For instance i cant make it work with some hardware boxes in chain before it since it needs very strong signal, especially with long attack setting.

I would relealy love to see how the UAD SSL bus comp hold up against the warm audio, xpressor, creme or sucssesor. I just found 1 youtube demo with electronic music testing various vst bus comps against the sucssor. Telling from youtubes top notch sound quality :wink: the sucsessor sounded maybe 5 - 10% “better” … meaning a little bit more open and transparent. But this can be due the special 1073 circuit … and I also find that bounced tracks (in Logic at least) sound always a little bit better / more open than in live/working mode. So the real test would be comparing bounced tracks.

For the SSL buscomp … I found out that dipping more then 1 db always takes away a bit from the openes. So I let the needle dip just between nothing and a little bit.

i’ve been wanting to buy a compressor for a good while now myself.

i’m set on the,

Chameleon Labs 7721 Stereo VCA Compressor

when i can afford it.

1 Like

Kush audio Tweakers are my favorite for versatility. A lot of control over input/output, side chain, and detector. Can be super aggressive or transparent. Love it most of all for percussion. My only issue is not having 2 more.

I got one of these

love it.

6 Likes

does anyone has experience with WES Dione?

https://youtu.be/qqfoR-Efdfg

https://youtu.be/LxS9BAIe684

https://youtu.be/vA2bgFkkNco

From the youtube videos its sounds good. But on the other hand in the comparision video with the vsts, there is no night and day difference I think.

Nice thing you can control it with your DAW and save settings withing your project. Like some of the Tegeler Audio can do too.

Looks and sounds great , nice find

1 Like

Thanks so much for posting this link, I had no idea this existed; Ordered :slight_smile:

1 Like

Question: if you could afford only 1 hw compressor, what type would you get. VCA, Opto, FET, Vari-MU? [and why]

2 Likes

I found it via Kickstarter campaign and was super excited about

Formfactor
Sound
Side chain (extra plus for me)
USB powered so you can use your Power Bank

And the founder Stefano is really helpful if you have any questions or problems

What purpose(s) is the compressor for?

3 Likes

That would depends on my main use for the compressor.

As a utility item, meant to control levels of individual sounds or sub-groups or a full mix without adding color I would use a VCA. It’s the most versatile in setting attack/release times and has the least “color” or “character”

To add punch and bring an element within the mix “forward” I would use an FET- it does color the sound in that adds a bit of sizzle, what most people would describe as “in your face”, and possibly the opposite of “warm”.

For “warmth”, “fatness” and a bit of harmonic distortion- Tubes (Vari-Mu). The really good ones can be totally transparent if not driven, and create lovely textures when they are. They can not achieve really fast attacks. Still, some people want just that from a compressor.

I have never used an actual opto, but based on my plug-in emulation experience, I would not use one as my only compressor as it is too specialized and there isn’t much flexibility in dialing in parameters.

1 Like

BTW,

because really good compressors are so expensive and plug-ins are so good, I would not bother with hardware compressors unless I had a shit-ton of money and too much space.

Yea, key question!

For techno, one of my favorites in hardware has always been the VCA based Focusrite Platinum Compounder. They used to be a dime a dozen, mildly hard to come by these days but when they do pop up are rarely more than $300. The bass expander section is very effective.

My tastes as of late are for something with more saturation color, though. But I’d still get a good bit of use out of a compounder. And thath leads me to my current and thus far, favorite solution:

• Octatrack’s compressor, with heavy p-locking and scene control of threshold and ratio, for added control, into Analog Heat.

It gives me the detail-oriented sculpting capability of software, but the sound of hardware. And at around $1300 used for a pair of MK1s respectively, is not a bad deal compared to other hardware solutions. Especially if you can get some use out of the other functions this combo includes :wink:

3 Likes

When I read “hardware compressor” my first thought is always “Distressor!!!” :))

@PeterHanes
@Joe_b
@AdamJay

use…well…as an all round compressor. one that could be used for percs, synths…but would be okay for finishing touches on a track, “mastering” to use the term lightly in my case.

not much money means it would have to be multi purpose. in reading up on all the types…it makes it seem like you gotta Pokémon it…and get em all. but surely there has to be one type that is preferable, not perfect, for multiple duties.

in that case, any hangups with a software solution?

The Brainworx compressors are quite good, and can be affordable during promos or 2nd hand licenses on KVR buy/sell.

well…if that is the answer…the ones in Logic are rated quite highly rated and I use those all the time…when I use one. and the ones in the MOTU is pretty good. [one being an LA-2A emulation]

but the question was if you could get one hardware comp. I’m interested in what someone might chose. to be clear…I have NO money for something like this.

im super burnt on software myself

1 Like

That’s an understandable hangup!

Yea, so I’ll go back to my earlier recommendation. P-lockable elektron comp
(except MD’s… shudder) + Analog Heat
:slight_smile:

I agree! thanks for the reminder. I need to use mine more. Wish they weren’t just available on the busses.