It's Time For A Track Challenge, Strangah

same, have to plan out a day to binge season 2 and 3.

2 Likes

I am just going to sample that opening synth arpeggio, add an amen break, and loop it for 5 min. I got dibs. Nobody mess with my creativity. Boom :boom:

7 Likes

Too late. I did it already!

2 Likes

this is fun, count me in!

1 Like

So far I’ve sampled quite a lot of people screaming.

I love YouTube supercut videos, they’ve done most of the hard work for me…

2 Likes

Here’s my first attempt. Nothing special but having listened to the 3 or 4 loops used for hours and hours I just needed to get this done and out there haha (plus it was ruining my other halves Love Island viewing…).

I did initially aim for “dub techno” but kind of veered off (per usual). Probably the closest I’ve got to a challenge genre mind you :joy: Maybe if I do another track I’ll manage something…

Octatrack only used and I only sampled the final episode of season 3 for this one. I’ve got a list of all the times of the samples used if anyone is interested. The kick and bass line (as heard in the start) comes from about 10 seconds in to the episode, for example. Ableton used to record the whole thing and nothing more.

I say this after every time I do an Octatrack effort that the ending is a little messy and that I need to use scenes more and this one is no different! One day…

3 Likes

I wish I had known about these before I started! Great sample fodder!

2 Likes

The intro has a real whiff of Otto Von Schirach about it.

I like it.

3 Likes

I’ve been busy this afternoon…

Not finished yet but so far it sounds suitably horrible. I’ve even managed to throw in some “dub” elements.

2 Likes

Excellent. I believe I’ll have my first track done this week.

I have a dnb / jungle type deal I’m working on. Not very thrilled about how it sounds, but oh well. Will finish and upload soon.

2 Likes

Managed to jam out a bit of a rough live track this afternoon into my little Zoom. It really is quite rough and the arrangement’s all over the place but, in the interest of oversharing, I thought it right to share it with you clowns. If all it does is set the bar a little lower for the rest of you then at least I’ve achieved something.

*DISCLAIMER
This probably isn’t my finished submission but it might be better than what I end up with…

4 Likes

The screaming that sounds like a hoover, was that intentional or a happy accident?

Total accident.

1 Like

That’s wild, and creepy.

1 Like

I kinda wanted a bit of a John Carpenter’s “Prince of Darkness” vibe on the intro (the bit when they’re broadcasting from the future that DJ Shadow plastered all over Endtroducing). From a sound design point of view I was going for my own version of what it would be like to be trapped in another dimension. All sounds are from DT and DN, no DAW and no external processing, recorded live.
It was originally a lot noisier, but I cut out a lot of the noise elements and kept with the beat and a bunch of mangled up dialogue samples. The bassline is two vocal samples with a lot of filter movement to create a more “played” feel.
Most of the drum sounds are from the Digitone except the hihiat which is one of the stock samples on the Digitakt.
I had the Digitakt running through the Digitone to make use the the DN’s master FX for the “dubby” bits.
160bpm because anything slower than that is basically ambient music.

2 Likes

Liking the tune, but may have nightmares in the coming days. Really like the quick hihats on this one! DN + DT can take you to the underworld and back

2 Likes

That intro!

Both creepy and a little funny (I find slowed down vocals way more amusing than I should!). I love when you get happy accidents though. Elektron boxes excel at it.

And I’m glad we finally have another entry!

2 Likes

I’ve woken up this morning full of ideas of how to make a “proper” track out of it so I’ll probably spend the next couple of weeks refining it into something a bit more professional sounding.

Or I’ll do a 2 hour granular noise scream track, who knows…

3 Likes

I’m using this challenge to get to know my new OT and DT. Still getting to grips with scenes, having a lot of fun. Progress so far: Can’t help but make evil bass for this, things started in a dub techno direction and got out of control pretty quickly.

3 Likes