Italian pioneers of Electronic Music

Yeah, I know what you mean. My favorite american band is Rush.

2 Likes

I stumbled across this album cover on Soundohm. Did not expect it would be synth-prog-rock :slight_smile:

“Synth prog rock” seems a bit reductive for a band like Area.
IMO, of course.

Off-topic: Cologne and Düsseldorf are the foundations of electronic music as we know it. I was surprised to see no mention of Kraftwerk anywhere in Düsseldorf. They are arguably the most influential band out there. More so than the Beatles imo.

On topic: nice information here. Bookmarked for later reading/listening

1 Like

Nah. Of course there is a huge heritage there, but you cannot limit the source of electronic music to one or two places. There were amazing strides made in many different places!

1 Like

A very serendipitous discovery indeed! :slight_smile:
In my opinion, their first 3 albums are must-haves for any serious music collector.

• Arbeit Macht Frei
  • Caution Radiation Area
  • Crac!

As for their other works (especially live), they’re well worth to take a listen (or two).

1 Like

North American is technically American, eh?

Ennio Morricone, Mauro Picotto.

Or, even more accurately, Canada.

Shout out to Joe Dolce who kept Vienna by Ultravox off the no1 spot in UK in 1980. Pioneered the way for proper electronic music not Bauhaus stuff,

I was working at a record store a while back when I found a Piero Umiliani compilation of synthesizer-based music. That was my first thread into the deep dark world of non-pop synth music. It was amazing to have a whole record store at my disposal. I think a lot of that stuff was classified in genres I wasn’t digging in yet (sound library, soundtracks, easy listening, etc) so I owe a lot to that comp breaking some preconceived ideas I had about music in general.

2 Likes

Piero Piccioni also dabbled with electronic sounds:

Some electronics here… but a Balearic classic

1 Like

Didn’t see it mentioned in the thread and kicking myself for forgetting about it, but this basically is credited as massive inspiration for a number of early house and techno pioneers - from 1982!

Oh nice catch! :v:t2:

I’m really glad you shared the music of the maestro Umiliani with us.
I warmly recommend a dive in his vast catalogue of music (both soundtracks and solo works); I’m sure you’ll find something that you’ve already listened in some famous film! :slightly_smiling_face:

From his electronic experimentations, i’d suggest Synthi Time from 1971: a literal pioneering album.

1 Like

While not specifically electronic, this group deserves some attention as well

Pure gold.

Guaranteered Italian this time (as guaranteed as Louis de Funès is french): I’m currently looking into Maurizio Bianchi, tons of releases on the youtube channel ITALIAN TAPES ARCHIVE. Don’t want to post the link since one will be greeted with tons of black and white photographs of things no one wants to see.

1 Like

Not very electronic but i see the brothers as pioneers of industrial experimental music

Russolo