Isn't the Analog Four the most incredible and deep instrument from Elektron so far?

Not when you play notes at least. You can fake it with p-locks though.

1 Like

Had fun with this 16 step bassline with two macros carefully balancing around a sweet spot in the resonance and mk1 style overdrive.

38 Likes

Your videos are fantastic!
They get me hyped to go make tracks

4 Likes

Thank you! I’m glad to hear it :smiley:

2 Likes

Well, I bought my first piece of Elektron gear back in 2016, the Analog Four MKI. I’ve added a few others to the desk and now I’ve finally made a decision to part with it. Don’t get me wrong, it’s a wonderful machine, in fact that Is why I’ve just bought an Analog Four MKII.

So I’d like to ask, what are the workflow differences that people have found most useful, what key differences should I be aware of now that I’ve got a newer model? Are there some threads I should be directed to?

2 Likes

The overdrive circuit works way better. Has a better bass response too.

2 Likes

The overdrive is great. I’ve been messing with the feedback oscillator and doing trigless locks on the overdrive circuits with long drones for added/altered textures.

1 Like

Oscillator feedback + overdrive does some amazing things. I believe there’s a thread dedicated to the oscillator feedback

1 Like

The overdrive has indeed changed.
The mk1 left one disappeared, mk1 right one has become mk2 left one, and mk2 right one is very powerful, adds more grit.

On Overbridge with mk2 you can stream all the tracks at once in full speed.

There are a few shortcuts that are handy, but I have forgotten mk1 UX, it’s been too much time since I got the mk2.

3 Likes

Yup, in the a4 itself you mean?
It’s starts with a nice white noise track
A bass synth with some lfo trickery for movement
Lead melody with a sort of overlapping note combo so you can mess with probability and get the feel of the melody without it becoming incessantly repetitive
A percussion track
Then mess with overall probability
Then set a bunch of performance parameters to mess with
Then add a bunch of spot effects on different steps again using probability
Then feed in the Volca fm laden with effects and choose a sound with a slow attack and long decay for a nice background wash
Works for me!

1 Like

Is there a difference in the feel of the knobs from mk1 to mk2? I find that without pushing and turning, the encoders are too slow for my liking on mk1. And pushing and turning every time can be a bit tiring.

Yes. I also have trouble adapting back to mk1’s, when I have the opportunity to touch one. On mk2 I almost never press the encoder.

2 Likes

Yeah, that was one of my many small gripes with the mk1 that went away on the mk2. The encoders on the mk2 feel pretty much identical to the Digitakt, Digitone, and Syntakt encoders in terms of speed and precision.

2 Likes

Hmm I’ll keep that in mind if a MK2 ever pops up for a good price. I think it’s part of the reason why I find it hard to dial in sounds I like quickly, though again it might just be the A4 sound engine in general.

How are they different that it keeps you from pressing the encoder?
I’ve never got to use any of the newer devices.
I do have an AHFX showing up tomorrow.

Mk2 encoders detect the acceleration so when you turn quick, values augment quickly, and slowly for a slow turn.
At first it is a bit disorienting, coming from mk1 but once you’re used to it there’s no turning back. I struggle to distinguish my muscle memory from Elektron eventually getting it right though.

4 Likes

I’ve always had a bit of trouble with the mk2 acceleration algo. I always overshoot when fine tuning values and it’s frustrating to slowly inch your way to a nice even number. Maybe it’s just me :man_shrugging:

1 Like

It was the same at first to me. It greatly improved over time both with OS updates and muscle memory.

1 Like

Yea it’s a bit of a double edged sword - I quite like the predictability of the MKI’s - acceleration works for dialling in values (MKIs can feel a bit slow when you’re getting everything set) but I don’t like it as much for performance - sometimes I like to know that giving something a quarter turn will always yield the same result regardless of if I’m feeling a bit excitable at the time. I find that doing things like filter adjustment on a Digi or MKII means looking at the screen, and if I want to do something quickly then it’s a bit dangerous. The OT and AR help a lot with this by having the crossfader and the performance macros, as you can take greater control of those kinds of things.

2 Likes

Back to topic. It’s still incredibly awesome. Just one track/sound.

8 Likes