Isn't the Analog Four the most incredible and deep instrument from Elektron so far?

I sold everything but my A4 mk2. Its the one box I use I the living room (with good monitor speakers) and sometimes in combination with ableton. Struggling to find my flow with ableton, slowly understanding techno and synthesis. I absolutely love the A4!

This is my A4 only contribution to this topic about the ;most incredible instrument :slight_smile:

21 Likes

What a great phrase/artist name :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

feel free to use it LOL. Or ‘Sound Bouquet’

1 Like

Final boss: Metal sync

I had not been using Unison mode much but wow, activating even 3 voice unison completely opens up sounds on the A4, everything from percussion sounds to bass and chords, they really pop now.

I am not a fan of presets but finally checked out the Analog Foundations sound pack and the Deep Synthetic House sound pack and both contain some really good starting points for some nice sounds that are usable for the music I am making. Without Unison they are so-so but once Unison is on they activate. These presets will be a great way to reverse engineer and gain a deeper unstanding of creating my own usable sounds on the machine. I still wish the base oscilators had a little more vibe to them but am happy i am getting usable non percussion sounds now from it. I loaded some of the Pro 3 waveforms i sampled into the Rytm and made a patch and it for sure is a different beast as far as vibe goes, the A4 cant compete there but what it does and the vastness of options makes it highly useable. And it sits just right in a mix. glad i hung in there this third time and didnt sell it again.

6 Likes

unison makes the drum sounds pop fer sure.

1 Like

Question about the A4 and its CV abilities. I don’t own any modular gear nor do i want to go down that rabbit hole. But if I did want to purchase a single bass module, like the Erica Synths bassline module, this then means I could sequence it from the A4 and route the audio into the A4 in one go, therefor adding an additional oscillator that fills that void the A4 has for me? Do modular modules need anything else like special power or do they plug in to a standard outlet for power?

You will need a eurorack power supply. Also a case of some sort because you don’t want to damage the module. I would recommend a small powered case, like a 4ms pod. They come in various sizes. Just be sure to get the powered version.

3 Likes

The Bassline is available as a module and as a desktop version.
Surely simpler than in module in your case.

2 Likes

Yes, I owned the DB-01 before and really enjoyed it. Got rid of it when I bought a Pro 3 but sadly had to sell the Pro 3 for some emergency funds that were needed so would like to get this back. I kept the DB-01 as tame as it gets as I dont like the aggressive side of it, but it always seemed like a tiny bit of overdrive was present, even when OD was turned down. I read some time ago the module version of it does not do this and yields smoother sounds when needed. The DB-01 sequencer is great though. But, if i could control a module like it with the EK sequencer that would be really nice.

2 Likes

The db01 is a little savage it’s true :japanese_goblin:.
Never had the opportunity to come across the Eurorack cousin.

1 Like

I was really impressed that Transpose on the CV track (sending CV/Gate out to other instruments) works identically to transpose on standard note/sound tracks 1-4. Really genius. Transparent functionality == excellent engineering.

5 Likes

I still have mine several years later and used the cv control with modular before getting a Eurorack sequencer. It’s still a fantastic synth. Paired up with a Rytm the ultimate combo.

2 Likes

A4 is: Endless fun with a single track.

[crossposting from current sounds]

13 Likes

Love it!!

2 Likes

Today I went for maximum envelopes on a single track. I was inspired reading about the Oberheim Xpander.

Applied all built in envelopes (fades), set both envelopes to 2 destinations each, set both LFOs as one shots and set both destinations on each.

Also did the same on the FX track, to modulate the Chorus, Delay and Reverb.

I’m not sure how many envelopes it results in, but by setting some of them to modulate some of the others, it became rather well modulated I must say.

12 Likes

Jammed on mine last night after spending lot of time in Eurorack land and enjoy the immediacy and great sounds. I’ve done entire live sets just with the A4. It’s that good. I only like Octatrack better due to more tracks and sampling features.

3 Likes

And did it sound good?

Yeah, a lot of rate-changing fast glitching with variable delay speeds and warped space sounds. Made some great one shot Samples from the session.

2 Likes

The day before I actually made a sound on the Syntakt that made me explicitly think how it was one of the more interesting sounds I made (I usually don’t sound design too deep). And it was with using the second LFO modulating the depth of the first; whilst I also set a fade to the first LFO.

Don’t even fully understand how it came out the way it did, but lfos and modulating modulators, and the fade value for them, all seem to be a step up in creating cool sounds indeed

2 Likes