Isn't the Analog Four the most incredible and deep instrument from Elektron so far?

I have no clue honestly. Just was thinking loud.
I could imagine it might be extra effort to keep future overbridge versions working for the mk1 line

1 Like

I thought the overdrive was different on the mk1, am I right ?

you are right.

1 Like

Though the mkII has both new and old overdrive behavior, I believe? Counterclockwise is mkI and clockwise is mkII.

Regardless, this does mean patches that use overdrive are going to require a little tweaking when moving between the two.

1 Like

Yes, the 2x overdrive styles are very useful as they are quite distinct from each other

1 Like

What is your source ?
I don’t remember anything like that, I think it would have been clearly stated from the beginning. Maybe I missed something !
I believe overdrive circuit is simply different for MKII.

MKI also have a really different behavior between clockwise/counter-clockwise.
Kind of offset as on AR…

I remember having read somewhere that counterclockwise mk2 was clockwise mk1 circuit.
I really like both mk2 overdrives. Love how you can change the sound in so many ways, when filter resonance is high or very modulated.

1 Like

Counterclockwise : mkI
Clockwise : mkII

I often prefer Counterclockwise.

4 Likes

Same here bcs its smoother and more suitable for the sounds I’m after but its nice to have a quite aggressive one too, and on the same dial, interesting things happen when modulating it so that its alternating between them.

1 Like

What is your source? A4 mkl has also 2different distortion models I would say

2 Likes

Absolutely.

1 Like

Another A4 = DFAM one (on one track, of course) :wink:

26 Likes

Source please ! :wink:
2 different overdrive circuits ?

At around 8:10, he compares a mkI to a mkII :

1 Like

Oposite settings with MKII negative and MKI positive seem to sounds similar indeed, a bit short to compare though…

An Elektron official source ?

Didn’t they just inverted knob behavior or is it just more…mature ? :content:

A4MKI manual :

OVR (Filter1 Overdrive) introduces distortion in the signal path. In mid position (0) the signal is kept clean. Increasing positive values gives a clipping distortion after Filter 1. Increasing negative values also distorts the signal, but with a softer overdrive inside the filter.

Same description in MKII manual but in Cuckoo’s demo it seems inverted (positive values softer).
Something wrong in the manual ?

OVR (Filter1 Overdrive) introduces distortion in the signal path. In mid position (0) the signal is kept clean. Increasing positive values gives a clipping distortion after Filter 1. Increasing negative values also distorts the signal, but with a softer overdrive inside the filter.

So you’re telling me I have 4 DFAMs… on my A4… on top of my double DFAMs… no freakin wayyyyyyyy. I remember giving it a go once but this is motivating.

6 Likes

I couldn’t find a statement by an Elektron employee anywhere on the forum. However, many well-informed users of MkI and MkII describe precisely these differences in the overdrive behaviour between the two Marks. Perhaps MkII beta testers were provided with some extra information?

@eangman
Is the description of the overdrive in the AF MkII manual correct, or was that text simply copied from the MkI manual?

I read this as saying that the difference is overdrive before or after the filter, which would make sense as an option. Am I interpreting that right?

Why is that? What’s the matter with the 5 sub? The waveform of the square?

sounds extremely close to the signature dfam stuff!

2 Likes