Isn't the Analog Four the most incredible and deep instrument from Elektron so far?

There’s tons of em, but check out @Eaves and his recent A4 videos.

11 Likes

Yeah I think you’re both pretty much on the money. It really is best to approach the A4 as its own unique thing.

Like if you try to make lush pads, massive baselines etc it will always feel lacking. But it does really excel when you start to embrace the sequencer as part of the sound design to get the evolving textures.

4 Likes

I would recommend the Analog Drive pedal as the only fx directly bond to the A4.

this gives a much more Analog Headroom and excels at boosting signals, normally not recognizable without such pedal.

it’s amazing to hear movement in the lowest sections of octaves and it’s a breeze to sequence the gain and midi frequency directly from the AK.

the AK and ARmk2 are my Analog foundation of Sounds, the mutable only system is there to keep everything musical.

my experience with the AK is simple: unquantized rec mode, metronome click on, record straight to the first lane and keep growing from there.

this had the effect to really discover its musical potential, which is a classic!

11 Likes

I found both Ivar tryti and Gary hayes YouTube channels very inspirational.

For my style Hayes is more spot on, but birh are great.

There are also a handful of
Cenk/mrDataline videos where he demonstrates and shows off the A4… great stuff

4 Likes

I think you should do it the other way around, create your own library sound as if it was the preset library, and then select from them instead of the preset library and sequence.
I think for such a creative and open tool, a great way to start or at least, working with it, it create a sound pool or won library to use later on your different projects.

3 Likes

The A4 is slowly becoming my favorite Elektron device. It’s not for the faint of heart. You need to put in the work and learn how to use it. The presets don’t do it any favors. It’s a future classic, IMHO.

15 Likes

Have had the A4mkii for a little over a year now.
First of all, I think it’s an amazingly sleek looking box.

After dabbling a bit into semi-modular synths I realized that with the limited time I have I need something where I can simply load up a patch in stead of recreating it from memory or a photo. But I did want a true analog, so I needed one with digital controls and analog sound. Already had a DT so the step was pretty easily made. And the more I use the machine, the more I love it.

What a mindblowing set of options, paired with the elektron sequencer. And through my limited space, I now get 4 analog mono synths in one all-encompassing box, where I can load up patches on the fly and have countless options to shape the sound and modulate it whichever way I want.

And then fill up the sound stage with 4 different timbres is just such a treat. I’m still learning the device through playing with it. And usually I start from a preset or sound pack, and work my way from there. Gives me much better direction then starting from a base patch.

I don’t really use it for poly as I think it’s too big a sacrifice giving up the multi-timbrality.

Currently I own the following Elektron devices: DT, the OT and A4mkii.

I love the DT for it’s immediacy and it’s amazing Midi sequencing.
Love the OT (but only had it little over a week) for it’s mixing, and options to manipulate several different sound sources. And it’s slicing is amazing.
Love the A4mkii for the sounds and the beast of a machine that it is. And for giving me four monos that can easily fit on my desk. I really don’t think there’s an equivalent competitor in the market at the moment.

3 Likes

Like this one :

11 Likes

Completely agreed on that!
Hidden gems that needs dedicated treasure hunters to dig and found about them.
Funny thing is, as knowledge regarding synthesis and audio recording and production are acquired, with these type of machines new different ways of working with them pops up, doesn’t it?

3 Likes

I understand why people don’t like them, they take quite a bit of time not to learn, but to make your own, but truth be told AK/A4 and OT are almost embarrassingly way more sophisticated gear than tons of hit records were made on in the past.

I get the appeal of simple “sweet spot” gear too, I have lots of that type of gear myself, and would not be without it, but OT and AK are for me lifetime gear, they are the gift that keeps on giving. I always find new ways to use them, they are so well thought out, and have enough features and flexibility to do almost everything I will ever want to do.

You just have to dig deep and put in the time, like any instrument, then the rewards will be plenty.

27 Likes

It’s interesting to me that some of the criticism against the A4/AK is very similar to arguments against the Monomachine, e.g., thin basic sound, steep learning curve, limited polyphonic capabilities etc. Both machines really are the opposites of “instant gratification”, but keep on giving with experimentation.

I do wonder if the A4 will gather a similar cult status to the MnM when it is finally discontinued. Granted the A4 is more readily replaced by some other subtractive synths, but I can’t think of a single other machine that provides all of its features (AM, soft sync, feedback OSC etc.) in one package. Very similar situation to the MnM in fact.

In any case, I was contemplating on selling my AK recently and replacing it with a knob-per-function analog poly. After listening to some of my recently made patterns, however, it’s not going anywhere! This thing is such an amazing idea generator and really brings me the feeling of “collaborating with machines” that I like.

22 Likes

Just started exploring it recently and want to turn this thing inside out this year. So far I’m only touching the surface and already blown away by the sound and deep groove design possibilities. Even with a 16 step sequence… Currently have this constantly moving dark groove going and I just can’t stop listening :slight_smile:

Incredible instrument.

29 Likes

The Current sounds thread is awaiting for you.

8 Likes

You’re right, I should go ahead and record a short clip :stuck_out_tongue: Good idea

6 Likes

Just recently got mk1 A4 and its definitely harder than i thought.

Anyone have tips on how to get good bass for deephouse? Like fm lately bass, Mr fingers juno style etc? Kind of struggling tbh

1 Like

Oh Lord

5 Likes

There are a lot of tips here on the forum for that.
Easiest way is to use the second filter on peak mode and use key tracking to boost the bass fundamental.

8 Likes

Also, subtract high frequency content to lay more focus on bass. It’s really that simple :).

6 Likes

You’ll love AM sounds and once you tried the performance mode you’ll want something similar on every instrument :sweat_smile:

4 Likes
6 Likes