Isn't the Analog Four the most incredible and deep instrument from Elektron so far?

Amazing idea. Pics please when done :slight_smile:

1 Like

This thread is cool but it is making me realise im using the A4 to about 10% of its potential…
I have that less with the rytm. I felt the same with the digitone, being a preset type of dude. Yesterday i explained this to my mate while showing him the amount of possibilities and just tweaking stuff and i mangled a sound so heavily we both looked at eachother and said:ok holy shit, it is pretty cool…

8 Likes

This one was also another reason that brought me to create this thread :slight_smile:

Good read on the manual, good read on synthesis techniques and audio processing, and you will realised soon the beast you already got on your hands.

Even if this machine can be seen as a preset machine, from my point of view and while this being helpfull to store your own presets or study and deconstruct others, it should be seen as the complete opposite way, a sound design analog beast! (to make it sound yours)

Got mine yesterday! Looking forward to playing more with it. I barely tested it yesterday but found the sound to be pretty full, and definately not lacking in bass. Doesnt sound like a vintage monosynth, but think i will get alot out of it if i think of it more as a modular synth in a box. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

LOved the fromfactor, sequencer and the architecture. Absolute amazing. Like all the different enevelope shapes (why the Rytm doesnt have them !! It needs so muich exp. curves !) and gazillion LFOs. But I just didnt liked the sound and it had so many narrow sweetspots that you need to hit like the right filter settings. Was not a joy to programm it for me. But thats just me. I am not worthy ! :slight_smile:

1 Like

In order to have the full Sounds (Synth Parameters and FXs), I had to save them as Kits.

Kit 7 : the Sound is on T3
Kit 8 : the Sound is on T1

Kit 7_Murmures.syx (2.7 KB)
Kit 8_Chaos.syx (2.7 KB)

Tell me if it works.
Enjoy!

3 Likes

The melody is key here, but it’s a lovely sound. (not mine)

18 Likes

huh, that’s just what i thought about 10 minutes before reading this. i thought about a “workaround” but didn’t try it. your post made me.
it is possible!

• put the tracks you want to trigger in poly mode.
  • allocation: unison
  • use track sounds
  • unison detune 0
  • unison pan spread 0
    yay!

edit: oops, should have read the replies…

2 Likes

Curse this thread as it made me buy an A4Mk2.

I have no regrets, though. This machine will compliment my Digitakt and Digitone quite well. I really like the latter, but I still feel more comfortable with subtractive synthesis when trying to dial in a specific sound. FM is more of a “happy accident” kind of sound design method for me right now.

Playing around with the A4 for a couple days, I can see myself being busy with the exploration of its capabilities for quite some time. I’m excited!

14 Likes
3 Likes

I loaded Richard Devine’s sound pack today and it’s made me wonder if I may end up enjoying the A4 more than the Monomachine.. I’m not ready to make such a bold statement yet as I’ve only had the A4 for a couple of months, but it is capable of some very unique sounds.

10 Likes

The musicality and emotionally stimulating potential of this thing is incredible. Once again I started to try and learn some things with it and all of a sudden realised I’ve got a track done.

I totally understand the agony at times trying to get something going on from scratch but every time I begin to really push it by using the sound pool, parameter locks and fx track wizardry something unexpected and beautiful happens.

There is just something v special about the way the oscs and filters play together that becomes apparent from the presets alone. It sounds so vivid and alive and conjures up really strong emotions. This instrument is a work of art.

8 Likes

Which one was this? Thanks :slight_smile:

This one probably

Must admit that i hadn’t seen it before either, so thanks for bringing it up, will load them up myself

7 Likes

Ahem. A bit embarrassing. Thanks :slight_smile:

Thought I’d ask here instead of opening a new thread:

Ex-A4 owners: why did you sell it?

1 Like

At the time, it was my only analogy synth sound source - I wanted more than 4 voices.

Now I have other synths, I’d like to try one again as it wouldn’t be used for everything.

All that said, I remember not enjoying the menu diving that much… But with all those sound design possibilities, I’d give it a go again.

1 Like

I understand this, and have felt like that at times with the A4, but it does get easy the more familiar you are with it. If it was a single voice synth, meaning you didn’t have to jump between 4 tracks, it would seem a lot more straightforward… it’s the ‘which track am I editing?’ moments that still catch me.

Saying this, it’s possible to use a dedicated controller with it and take a lot of the menu diving/track switching out of the equation.

My A4 is probably the last synth I would sell. I love it. So much I bought a second one.

3 Likes

I haven’t sold my MK1, but thinking of it, to partially fund a syntakt.

I find it hard and slow to program sounds on it (I’m more into creating tracks than into sound design). I don’t like the tiny screen. It is for sure an excellent analog synth, but I have more fun when using the DT+DN combo.

In the analog realm, the typhon and microfreak give me more instant results.

Microfreak has Wavetable and Digital Oscillators with Analog Filters, though.

3 Likes