Isn't the Analog Four the most incredible and deep instrument from Elektron so far?

That’s what she said.

3 Likes

I think the A4 was especially hard to learn since it’s true powers IMO come from two tricks that you can’t learn by browsing the presets (built in or bought ones). Those tricks are (1) programming sounds with the sequencer and (2) using that amazing filter feedback between channels feature.

I learned a lot by subscribing to @Eaves Patreon, downloading his projects, and reverse engineering them. Cheers to Eaves for that valuable gift!

I’m highly interested in exploring more project files from other skilled A4 ninjas. Would be nice to set up some sharing platform for project files so we can all learn from each other. I would be happy to share a few projects where I show how I’m using the filter feedback, which is for me where this synth shines the brightest.

Does this tickle someone’s interest? What would be the best place / method to do this?

A4 Was my first synth, but I still feel like there’s much to learn and explore. For sure my favourite synth of them all.

11 Likes

Can you expand on point 2? A4 noobie here

1 Like

using that amazing filter feedback between channels feature ?
Don’t understand what this is

I am interested in the filter feedback tricks and techniques.
Could you make a new thread? All the good learning from it will get lost in here.

There’s this one already:

https://www.elektronauts.com/t/osc-1-feedback/

5 Likes

What I don’t get, after a couple of days of MK1 ownership, is what was so wrong with the sound engine that it needed overhauling in the MK2?

Seriously, it’s got plenty of low end, insane amounts of sound shaping options and decent effects.

I’m really fussy about UIs and I’m really not finding it a hassle to make sounds with. Yeah, there’s a couple of bits of menu that could be a bit more intuitive but nothing that’s killing my flow. Admittedly, I do kind of have an Elektron brain, but I’m struggling to see how this isn’t the most popular monosynth(s) on the market.

I think the thing I like most is that it manages to feel modular without having a big, complicated and annoying modulation matrix. All the modulation options are accessible and visible with the minimum of faffing about.

Yeah, and the feedback. Oh my Christ.

22 Likes

Yeah like a modular but with instant recall of any sound on any step, tons of memory for patterns, kick arse sequencer, and plays nice with modular too, for less than what a few decent modules cost.

I think it was a bit before its time really.

16 Likes

Those are the reasons why I opened such thread :wink:

3 Likes

A4 is indeed a hidden gem I would say

Another from them:

3 Likes

This thread makes me want to buy an A4, but I allready own one, and an AK…

13 Likes

I‘m still not sure if there was so much overhaul actually. Different overdrive - but is it so much better now? Or just different? And a bit more bass it seems. Still mk2 owners still often seem to ask how to get more bass out of it

2 Likes

I think the AK was tweaked from the mk1 too, but I never did a side by side, though nothing jumped out as different when I loaded some patterns made in my mk1 into the AK.

I have a hard time getting on with the Analog Four. I love my Digitone and bought the A4 to get an analog version. While there are similarities I find that the differences confuse me and that the A4 seems more cumbersome to use.

Isn’t the A4 10 years old this year? Or is that next year. Wondering if they’ll do a big update like the OT, maybe an anniversary mk2 edition with red buttons.

3 Likes

They’re very different Synths really. I never really reliased how different though. I think it’d be pretty easy to fall out with the A4 on that basis, because it’s not at all like an analogue Digitone, despite appearances. There’s definitely elements that are more cumbersome, but they’re not a deal-breaker for me.

I disliked the Digitone, due to its sound but also due to not being able to handle too much detailed sequencing, but I do get on with the A4… So complex, but so warm and thick. Sound i love.

1 Like

A4 has a lot more synthesis parameters than DN, 64 on DN vs 90 on A4, I like them both but DN is less essential for me.

@garf December 2012 IIRC.

5 Likes

There is even a small minority that prefers the softer mk1 sound ( i remember one guy from a sound mag said he loves negative overdrive on mk1) Probably not, but i might be one of them, never tried mk2. I get the feeling that with plocked vel mod on mk1 i can make my very simplified amateur attempt to some very basic soft robert hood thing. ( Ok with dn similar, but harsher) Most important: no use of sd or handclap…

Biggest difference why i would have bought mk2 are the individual outs to enjoy it even more as drum machine.
Another: Mk1 screen could be turned on over night somtimes to avoid the black spot and fading on lcd . Mk2 turned off because of oled burn in danger. That seems less often a problem, while I am one of many with faded, slow and black spot on mk1. Just its on the left side so didn‘t send to sweden yet, and don‘t use enough.
I prefer the mk1 encoders to digitone ones somehow ( would like to exchange dn ones to somthing with more grip or metal…) feel less sticky maybe, difficult to describe

Edit: Another strange thing, from posts here and some of my experience ( but im too lazy to use often, long and setup etc) it seems a4 (mk1?) overbridge is often more stable than dn and the others. Strange because i imagine the analog-digital thing very complex.

1 Like