Is this FM?

PreenFM2 seems really nice! I would go for that. Chuck some low-res waveforms in there and I am sure it will sound real crunchy.

I used to own one, returned it.

Every day I miss owning my Nord Modular G2.

2 Likes

I even think the Minilogue has some pretty dumb “imposed” limitations, such as the inability for patterns to transition smoothly with patch changes. A super easy, minor OS tweak would add so much (by being able to chain as many patterns as you like).

I have couple of hardware FM synths (TX81Z and Casio VZ10M) but it’s the iPad FM synths (FM4, TF7, DXi, Mersenne ) I’ve been playing with most lately. They sound real good and are great to program new sounds with. They are very immediate and good for learning FM synthesis. Portable too.

Just wanted to share this release i made in 2012. It’s completely done with a Tamaha TX802 and a TX81z for drums, sequenced by an Electribe ESX. Pure FM bliss!!

https://soundcloud.com/tiredbeat-records/sets/tb01-cooptrol-hexaedrum

3 Likes

It doesn’t need custom waveforms to sound crunchy. Unfortunately I feel that the tonal range of the PreenFM2 does not match up with how deeply it can be programmed. It can’t get the really ‘glassy’ sounds (sorry, I have no better way to describe it) that I think FM excels at, but it can do pretty standard marimbas, metallic noise, and grainy pads very well. The random patch generator is pretty inspiring too.

This Volca has more memory (pattern AND program) than every other Volca before it.

Have you considered the possibility that, for $159 US retail, you might be asking too much?

Also, Velocity is available over MIDI.
It’s just different than the typical implementation. On the Volca FM it is MIDI CC#40
It affords the best of both worlds. Velocity on a slider with adherence to the Volca form factor, and access to the parameter via MIDI.

2 Likes

The Volca FM looks pretty nifty for the rrp I agree. At least all the controls are accessible from the unit, unlike the DX200.

I have a TX81z that will never get sold though, it just sounds more grimey and ‘there’ compared other fm synths I have owned over time… DX200 (nice idea but cleaner sound, bad build quality & castrated controls), Monomachine (fun but not a full blown spec), Korg Z1 vpm (4op - all the extra envelopes & lfo’s + 2 filters & fx are great but misses that 12 bit crunch), Casio VZ8m (still own it - I reckon they are sister units & layer well together.)

Cliche indeed but something about Lately Bass on the TX81z that just comes to life via velocity control.
below - an ‘in track example’ of this classic patch… (also all Machinedrum perc)

The Op Shoplifters - Bettie’s Butter (Ozone + Eden)

I don’t think so. I don’t see why there has to be a 16 pattern limitation at that price. This is just my opinion though.

One interesting thing about the PreenFM is that it does “true” FM instead of the FM-implemented-as-phase-modulation method Yamaha implemented.

Don’t ask me about the details, but this seems to make it sound a bit brighter and harsher.

:+1: excellent FM sounds in your tracks - demonstrating the versalility of the synthesis very vivid.

2 Likes

Thanks a lot! I spent some time programming all the patches before making the music. Both synths are gone but I’ve kept the sysxes for the NI FM8, or now I could supposedly also open them on the Volca FM. Haven’t got my hands on one yet. Anyways, I have loaded audio versions of the sounds on this record on my Analog Rytm so the line continues…

Well, there are only 16 step buttons, and there has never been a bank button on any of the 4 Volcas before it.

One would assume that it is cost prohibitive. What other hardware costs $159 and has more than 16 patterns available for its sequencer?

“Could it be done?” Of course. It could also come with a free Disney toy.
But would it still cost $159?
Most certainly not.

Besides, for someone who wants standard MIDI velocity control, wouldn’t you be sequencing it externally, anyway?

1 Like

Cost isn’t the concern for me, it’s practicality. Volca is a cool toy but it’s not practical. And the point is that when you externally sequence, there isn’t velocity control attached to note on. You can control the separately, but if you’re attaching a keyboard, you can’t play with velocity on the keys, which is an instrumental part of FM expression.

Here is a fix, but I don’t want to pay 50 bucks for a fix on something that should already be standard.

1 Like

By distributor do you mean TubeOhm?

There are a lot of things going on with FM synthesis that make its sound different. The only true difference between phase modulation and frequency modulation is the math; it is near-identical in sound for most applications.

For all of the 80s Yamaha DX, they didn’t use actual sine waves. In the early 80s, trying to create a true sine wave was far too computationally demanding. They actually use mathematical tables to chop a sine wave into “steps”, so there are gaps between values. Look at the second table to get an idea.

This does a LOT to change how it sounds. Using a look up table for values rather than a fully modeled sine wave does two things - it creates artifacts (not aliasing) and harmonic distortion when it is used for a modulator. For a carrier it introduces noise.

For the program DEXED, a freeware FM VST that models the tone of a Yamaha DX7, it implements both the “DX7” tone by modeling the look up tables in lieu of a sine wave (among other things), and for a clean FM it uses a fully modeled sine wave. The change in tone is distinct.

The PreenFM2 uses a fully modeled sine.

2 Likes

If your using a Computer in your setup this might do the job for free.

This might be a little left field.

Could I use a iconnect midi2+ to remap velocity to cc40 on volca fm ?
I wouldn’t need to buy that cable as I already have midi2 , I just use it very basically

Thanks