Is this a good use case for the Heat?

I am bouncing tracks out of my MPC One now and into Ableton. I like this workflow a lot but of course I can’t color my samples since the audio is not going through the outputs. So for hardware color, I route everything through an analogue mixer which is a nice start.

So in Ableton I will have a bunch of tracks and I am thinking I would use Overbridge with the Heat. I am pretty sure I can only process one track at a time.

So basically would I put the Heat on say, the Kick and then dial it in and print the take? I was thinking maybe just to do the entire drum buss but then if the Kick is too loud or something needs rebalancing, I’d have to redo everything. How do you all handle that?

Also I was thinking for synths and other sounds I could use the Heats filter and automate that while also processing the synth. Kill 2 birds with one stone kind of thing.

Is this overkill or realistic? Just trying to get an idea of how people use the Heat besides slapping it on the master buss.

1 Like

I guess the point is it’s crazy flexible and can handle nearly any use case.

I currently have it between my gear and interface. If I want to add a little saturation, I can. If I want to leave it bypass, no problem.

I’ve only used it with Overbridge a bit, but it works just as you say.

1 Like

I do exactly this all the time. Using subtle AH settings, you can even process sounds multiple times (print, re-process, print again) to get more tape color.

I think this workflow actually helps me move faster! I commit to things and move on. If I later decide I don’t like something, I can still cut, edit, EQ, etc. or, better yet, I can just re-record it.

3 Likes

Ok awesome.

Im also thinking I can use the heats filter to automate sweeps and movements on synths as well instead of just using the Ableton auto filter.

Use the envelope follower for everything.

2 Likes

I love the additional mid/side function that’s only available in Overbridge. A little lfo’d filterdirt movement on the side’s or whatever.

1 Like

Hmm what’s this???

1 Like

1 Like

The best unhidden easteregg in overbridge. Let’s bounce!

1 Like

Ohhh dude I remember reading about this in the OB manual but had completely forgotten, sick!!!

You mean the M/S feature?

1 Like

Any nice ideas to share?

Sure, I use mine a lot on the mains of my Digitakt or nanoloop, so I like to use it to pick out certain hits to decrease the drive level on a heavily distorted Heat patch with a short release to let that hit come through cleanly. I’m sure everyone already does this but it’s so useful.

2 Likes

Sure I use my heat as a studio processor ALL the time. Open it up, slap in onto something, commit the audio and that’s it. Needing to tweak every single minute mix detail at all times is not needed, and you don’t have to redo everything. Heat is a creative FX. If you are interested in sound colorations, I highly suggest you check out Arturia Preamps/Compressors bundle. You get 3 “Preamps” and Compressors, they all add a slight tone to everything. I use them for sound design all the time.

I’ve been experimenting with this a bit recently, but I haven’t used it for recording yet.

I’d love to hear a quick example if you get a chance!

1 Like

Totally I’ll record an example next time I’m at it.

1 Like

I also use the heat to obtain some “air” if needed on a sound or submix. No processing or just a little clean boost with use of the low pass filter, a tiny amount of resonance and finding the sweetspot by ear by dialing in some lowpass. Where VST plugins make it more resonant the heat does a better sounding job to get some nice, vinyl record sounding, openness. This also works nice with the high pass to get that sub shattering low end goingalso know as a mastering trick. Both techniques can be used in combination with the low/high eq knobs. Little work quick results.

1 Like

M/S isn’t available from the hw, right?
Edit: ah, saw you specifically stated this above, sorry!

Still a bit of a bummer for me since I only use it standalone 99% of the time :frowning:

2 Likes

Still hoping that elektron’s gonna implement m/s as a setting to be used without OB in a future firmware update.

4 Likes

I was actually hoping that the MK2 implemented this in the hardware.
But it seems that the M/S conversion is done digitally at some point within Overbridge, that’s why it might not be possible to have the M/S feature standalone.

It’s a shame really :sob: :sob:

1 Like