Is there anything remotely like Overbridge out there?

if I understand Stickhit… they are just stating that the roland device shows up as USB sound card… if selected in any recording software that allows multitrack recording then you can select the device and record the channels…

OK I now understand what you mean ( if you own multiple overbridge enabled Elektron boxes they can all run multi-channel USB audio into your DAW together).

2 Likes

OK I now understand what you mean ( if you own multiple overbridge enabled Elektron boxes they can all run multi-channel USB audio into your DAW together).

100000% correct! :wink:

A lot of synths have audio/midi over USB, very few ‘aggrigate’ in real; timw with your main soundcard (not under windows anyway!) The Virus TI did, Overbridge does…

The only other one that might (I haven’t tried it, it claims it does) is the new ‘plug in’ Valve warmer(processes your audio through real valves over a VST!)

Freqport

1 Like

Freqport

1 Like

this is interesting but only seems to be one USB-c line so since it’s just a tube amp(either 4 channel mono… or two stereo input/outputs…) but since it’s over usb and has no actual sound engine itself it’s just a FX plugin using real tube amps(still cool though)… very much like using the HEAT with overbridge but still would not do anything for how or what you record into it… Still do like the software effort put into it… and wish all companies did this sort of integration be it hardware FX or synths/drum machines.

Arturia MiniFreak

Moog Sub37 (and Subsequent I guess) have a stand-alone and plugin software, no audio but convenient for total recall and automation, as well as editing deep settings to avoid the screen (most is knob per function but for a few things)

Works great!

GUI interfaces to CC implementation of a synth is nice but not novel, but adding USB audio with that is. It’s quite a task it seems not many other companies even want to try… I don’t know what FPGA/OS programming you have to do to get it to work but it isn’t just some easy set of code laying out there on the internet…

I do appreciate when companies do things like VST controllers out of the box(modal/IK/others)… and if that is all overbridge was it would be fine… that being said it could save you $$$$$$ of not needing a audio interface if you wanted to run a bunch of elektron boxes at the same time(and maybe a few extra things using the available audio inputs)…

Multitrack USB without proper software like overbridge(like the roland TR-6s) is worthless to someone like me… I rather have the actual audio outs at that point cause it’s going through another larger input USB audio interface so I can get my whole studio in the DAW). The lack of this software has to be about money and R&D cost on something that seemingly is not understood and is not how most people produce music(i.e. just sampling thing into a daw)…

I think I understand your point.

For my personal use, Overbridge is a great idea but I find myself not using it. Regarding latency this was problematic for my setup when I was trying it and as others have stated, I didn’t really care for the individual tracks of my Digitakt and preferred the stereo output with effects and all.

For the Analog Heat though, I use it and love it. There isn’t much added latency that I notice in the way I use it and there, having it as a plug-in that passes audio back and forth is brilliant.

I’m not aware of any other attempt from other companies. As far as I understood Oerbridge has been/is a pain to implement. I could be wrong :slight_smile:

I mentioned Moog because I find the execution particularly well done. I often wish Waldorf would go that way, or others…

1 Like

agree with you… especially about waldorf, and while I haven’t used the Moog VST’s they did make me actual more interested in those synths that had one. I wish it was standard to have at least a VST controller on every digitally controlled synth…

1 Like

Isla S2400 does 10 channels of USB audio - four stereo tracks plus one master mix track. Each channel can go through the filters as well so you get the punch of the device’s multiple outputs without using loads of cables. :smiley:

3 Likes

@BKLronin made a multitrack audio and midi recorder for the Models and OP-Z, which is really all I wanted out of an Overbridge substitute for my M:S

Right, they go through the Digital filters, but I don’t think they go through the analog filters when outputting to USB.

You might want to look into the Roland MV-1 Verselab which features full integration with Roland ZenBeats, and basically expands the 10-track rompler-esque groovebox into a full studio with unlimited audio recording and layering with a pretty capable DAW attached to it. The MV-1 is a very frustrating machine on its own but very capable when paired with another screen for mixing and other whatnot. I am not really speaking from experience though, even though I own one. TBH I have yet to gel with it and I’m struggling with whether or not to trade/sell it. I know it’s an incredibly capable machine with tons of great sounds, effects, and features. It has a built-in microphone preamp ffs, I just haven’t gelled with it yet. It does a lot of things though, and it’s basically its own DAW controller, and comes with a fully-featured DAW in ZenBeats.

Anyway, I saw the MC-707 mentioned above and thought the MV-1 might be worth mentioning.

Pro Tools can now integrate USB audio devices as “AUX IO”, including Overbridge channels in conjunction with your preferred audio interface.

1 Like

very interesting! just did some research into it and it looks super cool! not a pro tools user but maybe need to…

Damn, you’re right! Thanks for letting me know. :slight_smile:

1 Like

One of the best tricks of Overbridge is that it can add more inputs/outputs to a DAW without having to make an aggregated device, and dealing with the latency.

Does anyone know of a DAW plugin that can do something similar? I.e it lets you add an arbitrary USB audio device to a channel without having to use the DAW’s own I/O?

Can overbridge add input from 2 or more elektron devices even on windows? I have a rytm mki and heat but have only router through mixer and interface so far, would be handy to have the option also