Is there any bass out there?

Here’s an example track that has M:C bass and electric bass. I thought they played off each other pretty nicely.

6 Likes

yesss I love bass! I’m currently the bassist in a punk band :3

really like playing funk bass too, it’s so entertaining and fun, but these days I mostly just play punk

2 Likes

yeah I love playing bass. It’s never been my role in a band, but it’s probably the instrument I’m best on.
one day when I am rich (or feeling rich) I’ll buy a Jazz Bass with maple fretboard. I played a single gig with one and it felt just right.

3 Likes

Literally dreamed of this thread last night (US ET).

I’ve played guitar and bass in bands over the years. Bass was often the “short bus” way into a band. Then you learn how much power you actually have :wink:

Currently playing a JMJ Mustang bass (flats forever) through a Line 6 Helix Floor. Expecting delivery of a a fender Rumble 800 combo tomorrow (my birthday). Shit seems cosmic LOL

7 Likes

15 Likes

I bought a Bass VI last year. Do I belong here or in the guitar thread? :thinking:

11 Likes

I never had a proper bass amp, so I’m planning from ages to buy a pedal, but all my (few) money finish to turn into modular stuff and bass has always to wait… :sweat_smile:

1 Like

I had an A4 and remember it too joined the bass very well.

2 Likes

My three fav stringed instruments I’ve played thru the years:

• Fender Jazz Bass 62 replica
  • Music Man 5 strings
  • Chapman Grand Stick

They’re all long gone.

they’re great, this episode was a joy (still find that glove a bit alien)

also pdbass, an enjoyable channel that pops up good stuff

nonetheless, can’t recall the last time i picked up/on my bass which is a pity as i know i’d be inspired and rewarded for it

4 Likes

This is fun

2 Likes

I am using a similar setup atm - a JMJ (black, naturally) into a Helix Stomp for DI-ing.
Obligatory photo from last Saturdays gig:

My other setup is a 1983 Squire JV Jazz (also black!) going into a Gallien Krueger Legacy plus Barefaced cab. Bit of crunch from the GK and it just sounds immense!

5 Likes

Squier Contemporary Active Jazz Bass with flatwounds. :sparkles::sparkles:

3 Likes

Like brothers,.The Jerzy Drozd is with me after 30 years, I bought directly to him in Barcelona. The double bass is with me for 15 years, from a netherlands luthier, circa 1950…
A bit ashamed that I don’t play enough any of them, I stoped playing in bands some years ago and now playing more with synths and samplers…

14 Likes

It’s funny, i’m the 3rd forist playing this Mustang, black too. I love it.
My other basses are a 79 stingray, a Höfner Galaxie and a roadworn Fender Precision.

2 Likes

I never tried a Mustang, is it more on the P or on the Jazz side?

1 Like

I love flatwounds!! I’ve also put some flatwounds on mine.

3 Likes

Swapped my Mexican-build Fender Jazz for a P-Bass last year.

Jazz had an issue with the truss-rod. It was fine as-was, but couldn’t be tightened any more. Explained that to the shop I part-exed, and they were OK with it. Got a reasonable price for it too.

Went for a P-bass Ultra, which has the usual pickups, but also Jazz-style pickups with a switch to turn the active circuit on/off. That makes it a very versatile beast.

2 Likes

Definitely closer to a P, but with its own thing going on. Lovely chunky sound, and the short scale makes it so much fun to play. When I first got it I had a week or two where I would overshoot a fret when moving up the fretboard, but you adjust pretty quickly.

Would definitely recommend you try one out!

2 Likes

I had an old stingray - most comfortable bass I’ve ever played, loved the neck. Could never get the sound to fit with the bands I played with though, so it got moved on. I do miss it.

2 Likes