Is there a way to sequence a change to the synth engine?

Hey folks,

since I’m still quite new to the Rytm, I wondered: Is there a way to parameter lock the synth engines, too? Sound by step somehow?

Thanks in advance and best regards

Not as you describe, but by using sound locks

Note: most engines are track specific, but a few will load on any track

4 Likes

Rytm MK2 manual, p.45 describes the details of what @avantronica beat me to explaining.

3 Likes

Good shit, guys. Thank you very much, that’s fantastic! :grinning:

I will say I’ve been badly wanting the ability to switch engines with scenes. I don’t see any reason for why this wouldn’t be possible, given you can modulate them externally via CC 15.

this seems to be undocumented; find it by trial and error or were you told by :3lektron: ? yet to try this, interesting indeed

1 Like

It’s actually on the first page of Appendix C: MIDI in either MKI or MKII manuals — specifically the Common CC table under General Kit Parameters.

3 Likes

Yep, done this before, even have sent lfo’s at it…

3 Likes

Oh wow! Hidden in plain sight.
Which brave soul will use an MD/MM/DT/DN/OT to p-lock that one?

3 Likes

I’ve plocked per step from OT!
One sneaky target I keep meaning to play with is Lfo Destination CC 105… Plock per step, send an lfo at another lfo’s destination? :thinking: Using a plockable lfo from OT? :thinking::thinking:

2 Likes

If I remember correctly the catch is that the values for the initial machines parameters stay the same but they are applied to the new machines parameters, which isn’t always musical… Of course you could plock those too either on the AR or from midi…

(Edit: Or the new machine jumps to it’s default parameters? Haven’t had my AR in awhile, I remember a bit of funny business to deal with.)

1 Like

Took me a bit to track this one down, but here’s a clip of one of the first videos I made after buying my mk1 a few years back. Hooked it up to a couple combinators and played through a few factory banks. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

cool - I scanned those tables/numbers too quick - glad the question came up

2 Likes

Agreed – Still. I get that saving a separate kit/ pattern works fine, but I just think it would be nice to have the option of swapping out engines with scenes, and I can’t think of any reason why we shouldn’t be able to, aside from the same patternalism(heh) keeping Digitone users locked to ratios, etc. :slightly_frowning_face:

1 Like

Is it possible change the synth type/engine in a scene? For example, for Scene 1 I want to program Pad 4 to play the Noise Gen engine instead of the Clap engine.

Sound locks is what you need :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I should have been more specific. I’m not using the on-board RYTM sequencer so I cannot lock a sound in that way. I’m sequencing the RYTM from another sequencer and would like to change the synth engine with MIDI CC or a Scene. Is this possible?

see above

1 Like