Is there a way to randomize the start point of a pattern?

so im fiddling around atm playing with pattern scale and chains, having some fun setting different bpms and such and am now wondering if there is also a way that i can randomize the start point of a pattern or if it always has to be the 1? if not, is there a way to do it thru midi perhaps?

As far as I know, it’s not possible, the closest I know is being able to move the steps of the patern with shift left/right arrows and play whit the patern length. or use the direct change of the paterns and so the change is made directly from the previous position. I join the doubt if anyone knows any method for this.

3 Likes

Start with all the tracks muted, close your eyes, wait a second and unmute?

2 Likes

You could either do Pseudorandom by making a bunch of custom patterns with different start points and lengths and randomly pressing pattern buttons. Or for truly random, you could just live sample into an Octatrack, and set it up to randomize playback.

3 Likes

i guess i need an octa :smiley:

You can try multi map, set some patterns with direct jump, some with direct start…

A bit different, but below I divided a pattern in small parts, and played them with multi map. So start points are different…played by a sinced arp.
Ah and with random arp, you get random start…
You can use midi loopback, fx or cv track with notes controlling multi map, probability…

5 Likes

Nice!

I think the only way would be to record the loop, load that sample and play with the start point of the loop :man_shrugging:t5: