Is there a way to preview samples?

Does anyone know if there is a way to preview samples before you load them into a project? I didn’t see it in the manual and I couldn’t figure it out on the machine. It could be useful when trying to figure out which samples you want to use in any particular project.

1 Like

In the Octatrack it’s “Function + Yes”. That doesn’t work? I don’t have the Rytm yet.

1 Like

yeah that is an important feature on a machine with samples. can anyone confirm AR can do that? i am looking to get one. cheers

The manual can be downloaded for free regardless of owning the machine. I would suggest taking a look at it for all the gritty details.

From it: “You can preview the currently selected Sound by tapping the pad of the active track”

You can also see this in action at the beginning of this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eov9iFyEGc0

2 Likes

yes, but that was not the question. question is, is it possible to prelisten to the samples before you send them into the sample list…when you hit function + global you get access to all samples…you can delete, rename or send them to the projects sample list…but it is a pain to do that without listening to the sample…

1 Like

OK then…I’ll let you know in two days unless someone beats me to it. :slight_smile:

If its not possible yet it will be I’m sure like with the others… Did Function + Yes not work?

1 Like

No, that doesn’t work. You have to select the sound, turn the sample volume up, then (with the “D” knob) select the sample, and hit the pad. It is pretty straightforward, but you have to turn the sample volume up first, or you’ll hear nothing. And if you want to hear only the sample, you have to turn down the synth volume first, too. Makes sense if you want to check what’s available, and if you already know the samples you might want to hear them together with the synth machine, so you"ll leave that volume up.

1 Like

I also tried “Function + Yes” and it didn’t work. The above solution will work fine for the samples you’ve already loaded into the project. But, I still think it would be nice to hear the samples before you load them into your project. Especially so if you have hundreds of samples and the project can only hold 128.

I agree this would be a nice feature. Currently we have to “blind” load samples into the project. I would like a preview feature so I know what I’m loading.

+1 to this.

In order to decide whether or not I want to load a sample into a project, I’m having to preview it on my computer first. It’s kind of a hassle.

^

there is now ! 1.02 :wink:

When browsing samples on the +DRIVE, they can now be previewed by pressing
[FUNCTION]+[ENTER/YES].

( though it’s only the start of the sample, but probably enough to jog your memory I guess & better than nowt )

1 Like

Wohoooooo

in samples manager, looking at the samples in RAM the FUNCTION+YES selects the sample (no preview, like with the DRIVE+ list of samples).

is there a way to previes samples there? would like to unload some samples but i want to hear them first. now i need to go to the kit, select the sample to a sound to hear it - but i have to go to samples manager to be able to unload it since that is not an option when in kit edit…

2 Likes

That took about two years to look up :joy:

When is this going to change people. There has to be a way. We can’t live like this. We can’t play like this. There must be a way. Help us out Elektron.

Find an empty pad/sample slot and move SMP encoder. Select free space and load the sample like normal but when you get to the list of samples you can use FUNCTION+YES to preview sounds.

Function + Yes Dows the trick!

3 Likes

Function + Yes does the trick - confirmed.

Trick #2: play a sequence with triggers on every beat while you are browsing: the sounds will play while you are browsing the D+ drive. Cool !

1 Like

I wish there was a way to audition a p locked sound… Is there?