Is there a way to link pads?

Is there a way to have pads link up so you can do things like have the bass drum always trigger the low tom (and vice versa) or have the snare always trigger the clap?

can you just copy the track from one to the other?

i know it’s not the solution you’re looking for but it seems like it would be just a few button presses away. it just sucks if you’re constantly messing around with track steps or playing the pads live, which is probably why you’re asking.

conversely, it would be nice to have choke options too, not just the inbuilt chokes

Can’t think of anything ITB…

MIDI routing? Send the pad signal out and back into the AR to trig the other sound? Or would that cause feedback?

Yeah, this is for live playing and muting purposes; seems like a very basic omission.

Probably not what you want to hear, but if you assign the voices you want linked to the same MIDI channels, you can achieve this with an external MIDI sequencer. I’ll have to give this a try with my Octatrack.

Basic would imply standardization. In what other hardware drum machines is this a feature?

Basic would imply standardization. In what other hardware drum machines is this a feature?[/quote]
There’s ways to do this on the Machinedrum, Monomachine, and A4.

1 Like

Basic would imply standardization. In what other hardware drum machines is this a feature?[/quote]
There’s ways to do this on the Machinedrum, Monomachine, and A4. [/quote]
Well that answers that, LOL

Wild! Still can’t find the pads on those instruments.

You can trigger and choke other pads on the MPC. It’s not a “drum machine” but does have pads. The AR is not a “production center” but does have pads. I don’t think it’s very outlandish to desire a similar feature between the two.

Sorry for resurrecting this thread.

I am new to the Rytm and recently wondered if there is a way to link pads together, so I found this thread and was a bit disappointed to read that there is no simple way to do so.

Especially due to the fact that there are Impulse machines available on the Rytm, which would make so much sense to be connect to other sound generators (like it is possible on the Machinedrum, which allowed for layering different sounds from different engines and trigger them with one note/machine), for example to create new transient sounds for toms.

Since the sequencer on the Rytm is more advanced than the Machinedrum’s sequencer (i. e. micro-timing, trig conditions), it would open up so many possibilities (like delaying some layers of sound to create thick clap-like sound textures, etc.).

Ableton Push offers the functionality inside of it’s drum rack engine, where you can freely map several pads to one incoming note. I agree that Ableton Push is a very different beast, but when talking about pads and drum-controller duties only, I think it is quite comparable to the Rytm.

Just some food for thought!

Don’t get me wrong, I love my Rytm, but I’m just so spoiled by past Elektron machines, that sometimes the newer devices seem to leave me wanting more, missing the finesse of the old machines, which had so many “secret powers”, offering so many features besides the marketed core functionality.

Of course there were things in the silver boxes that sucked, I don’t want to deny that! :smiley: (i. e. note length wasn’t recorded by the Monomachine Sequencer in live recording mode for the internal sound generators, ugh)

Time for me to go to bed.

Best regards
Boland

This would be very useful feature for layering. For instance it is on Akai/Maschine line, I am sure it would be easy to implement here.

1 Like