Is there a name for this?

I was thinking, I’d love to be able to have a single keyboard connected to a digitone, say —or to a series of hardware synths, and be able to trigger note and gate sends by a rule (analogy could be like you have priority options in arpeggiators) — in this case say I’ve got a mono bass synth, a mono lead, a paraphonic and polyphonic synth, I could sequence input to all from a single keyboard like different voices in a choir or an orchestra — and the movement of different keys while others held would be (i guess attempt to be) intelligently tracked, so that the midi to external instrument (or just other channel in the box, like a digitone) relationship would stay more often than not.

Closest thing i can think of to this that I know exists is mapping sections of a keyboard, splitting the midi out that way, which is a solid broad option, but i’d love the nimbleness (and frankly opportunity for magic surprises in midi accidents) for composition —any thoughts?

Retrokits might have something that could make this possible. Although not out of the box. Probably custom firmware (which they support) is needed.

/thomas

3 Likes

I don’t think there’s a name for this, but honestly I read that first paragraph like 4 times and I’m not 100% sure I know what you’re asking.

You can have different synths listen to different MIDI channels. Maybe you can have a piece of software between the keyboard and all the synths. The software could in theory have the ruleset that decides which MIDI channel(s) events are sent to. I’m just not sure I understand what the rules are and whether those rules can be programmed without “magic” :wink:

Maybe you can do this in something like Max?

Also, check out the Blokas Midihub. It’s possible that it covers some of this territory.

3 Likes

Haha I could definitely be clearer even in my confusion — the rule would be something like, the first note I press send it to Channel 1, then second note to channel 2, etc (or custom, like multiple, send the first note to Channels 1,2,3 and the 2nd to 4, 5, 6, I dunno) — in the case of the digitone, right, I’m imagining laying down different tracks all at once whose notes would be chords — in lieu of knocking out 4 separate tracks, be able to just live track that into a digitone, or live track to a handful of hardware synths connected to an octatrack)

When I use an arpeggio, it has different settings for key priority, move with the highest/lowest note or each new note, etc — I just wonder if it could be done with notes dynamically being directed to distinct midi channels or instruments based on similar pre-defined logic, kind of like a midi channel arpeggiator.

There’s a midi sequencer out there that outputs different melodic lines (pads, Bassline) to different channels and follow the chords you choose.
I don’t remember the name, but it seems pretty close to what you are describing.
It’s somewhere on this forum…

2 Likes

Captain Chords?

NDLR from Conductive Labs!

Oxi One can also do this but NDLR is made for that purpose✌️

4 Likes

Linnstrument can do channel per note. Cycling midi channels with each new note press, designed for mpe use on multitimbral synths set to the same patch- different patches for each note or even different synths could be used instead.

Odd channel count will cycle with offset synth patch with even note patterns and even channel with odd note patterns

Holding ‘keys’ will sustain notes while cycling others that are played on top. For gate variations use different envelope settings on each channel/synth like no sustain different decays for shorter gating in synth or longer release for trailing notes after cycling to the next

Some synths could be on arp with different settings. Latched or not. Especially usefully for live variation would be synths that trigger sequence on keypress and are real-time transposeable on keypress

X/Y & aftertouch can be set to alter envelope settings/ arp parameters, or anything else midi defined in synth

Also has channel per row for something that acts more like keyboard zones, but because of the note layout and duplicate notes it would provide more pseudo randomness to which synth would be triggered since playing style is different and across two dimensions rather that just horizontal

Chords can be split across different mono synths, free running lfos and cv or midi sequenced parameter changes, especially running at different legnths can be used to keep each synth/channels sound constantly evolving and midi processers could take this even further

3 Likes

Whoah! I’ll thinks sales go up after reading this. Never dove into Linnstrument but this sounds appealing.

2 Likes

That’s the one, thx!

2 Likes

Just throwing this in …
https://midisolutions.com/prodrte.htm
… it can do a lot, including midi splits. I’ve used it to sequence multiple Volcas with just one midi channel from my Novation Circuit Tracks. It’s pretty expensive, though (159 Euros).

1 Like

Analog Keys allows you to hold a key while you switch tracks, play the new track, switch back and continue the first line, legato. I use it to do “call and response” between two sounds with one hand.

2 Likes

Yeah sounds like something the Analog Keys could probably do.

There is also a couple of solutions Loopop shows in his video about making the Model:Cycles somewhat polyphonic: Elektron Model Cycles Review, full tutorial and 7 tips and tricks - YouTube

It’s some kind of round robin, but it may depend on configuration of these devices.

I have the NDLR myself. With it you can press one of 7 buttons, which each present one harmony. This can also be controlled via midi – means, pressing keys e.g. C-B and letting NDLR make harmonies out of it in preconfigured scales. It provides the bass/drone, chords/pads and two arps, which can be programmed very detailed.

I see the NDLR also as some kind of extension for my Model:Cycles: Sacrifying one channel for midi and let NDLR making four out of it for controlling/playing other gear.

1 Like

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions to explore!!

Late entry also for the Retrokits RK-002 cable. With Arduino IDE and the many firmware examples you can get pretty far creating a firmware (sketch) that does what you need without knowing much about programming. The DUY firmware sources are very well commented and self explanatory.

More info: RK-002 MIDI Processing? Just DUY it! - Retrokits
Available firmwares: https://duy.retrokits.com