Is there a lighter/simpler version of this forum?

So I came back after leaving with the previous forum design. At first I was lost, everything seems to be modeled after the new design that is on mobile devices, everything is hidden, things slide and highlight and pop up and “feed” you information.

This is the slowest page for me. I admit I don’t have the latest laptop, but I’ve upgraded RAM and installed an SSD on it. Everything seems to be working fine everywhere else, but as soon as I come here everything loads so much slower, I am always waiting for the User Interface to finish loading. So I was wondering if it’s possible to turn off the “pretty” things and just make everything a bit more simpler and faster. Like maybe at least get rid of so many animations or something.

In any case can someone at least tell me where settings are and what things I can do to make the experience a bit faster at the cost of design?

Where are these animations you speak of?!

I wish they had a dark version on the deep web.

Just things getting highlighted, outlines drawn, colors filled and little things like that. It’s just that when I’ve seen a similar design there was a “LITE VERSION” option somewhere always.

“Dark version” actually uses a bit more resources then the white screen, black screen was better for CRT screens. But yeah white on black is a lot easier to read.

I love this new design. The best forum platform I have seen.

But shame if it’s too slow for you. Have you tried different browsers…?

2 Likes

The actual design is nice, the layout and such. I just wish I could kind of get rid of all the bells and whistles, like I don’t need icons to be highlighted or things filled with color, or any sort of animations that add to resources. I am not down to switch browsers just for that reason, I’d rather deal with it :slight_smile:

It always runs fast for me on phone and home wifi and is a simple, white forum already with minimal bells and whistles. Do you have a slow internet connection?

I have a very slow connection and poor computer and it works fine for me.

A version of the forum where the ‘Preferences’ option worked would be a start.

1 Like

I know what you mean. I had a little rant a whiles back about this sort of thing, making it harder to use older tech.

what OS/browser (and version) are you using?

that’s not true at all.

Instead, LCD displays rely on an array of thin-tube fluorescent bulbs that provide a constant source of light to create a white screen. To make it black, LCDs rely on a diffuser to block this light.

Yes! This hasn’t been working for me either

that article is from 2007… If there’s any difference in power consumption on a bright vs dark screen in modern displays, it is minimal compared to just turning down overall brightness a little.

The monitors are exactly the same as they were in 2007, they are LCD. We are not using Plasma or any other type of technology. Everything that is displayed on screen is done by a video card so it’s not just power consumption (since everything in a computer consumes power anyway), the video card has to add a (slight) extra layer of processing by making the display all black. Notice we are not talking about brightness here but the actual image (black color vs. white). The brightness is not controlled by the video card, it’s an actual light in the back of the LCD screen and you simply control how bright the light is without the video card doing any work. Anyway this is a bit off-topic, the fact that the article is from 2007 is hardly relevant, it’s like saying E=mc2 is an outdated formula because it was discovered over a hundred years ago :slight_smile:

ok. lets just agree to disagree.

1 Like

There must be some kind of link that leads somewhere were a more usable version if piped out? More CPU-friendly and especially less bloated and easier to follow. Would appreciate if someone could post it again if it was already mentioned.

Thanks!