Is the Octatrack "quiet?"

From the spectrum analyzer it seems like you’re overdriving with your mixer or preamps and then comparing to a clean(er) signal

2 Likes

The OT is for sure quiet. Why i sold it. It always sounded muddy to me, even when I disabled effects and made sure time stretch was off and no filter and all the things you shouldn’t have to do on a $1400 sampler. but once i loaded the same 909 samples on the OT and my MPC, programmed the same pattern and played them side by side it was laughable how bad the OT sounded. not even in the same ballpark as what the MPC was putting out. so i boxed it up then and there and sold it. Sucks cause I really loved the OT, like really loved working on it. I bought a Rytm instead that I use as a scaled down sampler cause I love what Elektron boxes can do with samples and the Rytm does sound much better but its sample playing abilities still are not as punchy as an MPC, any version.

2 Likes

Did you recorded it so we can laugh with you ?

:sketchy:?

:thinking: So why don’t you use MPCs only ?

2 Likes

fwiw I think digitakt is the punchy elektron sampler. By comparison my rytm is kinda muddy to my ears.

Because Elektron devices are fun to work on. MPCs dont have that sequencer. I will always love my MPC’s but Elektron has created some very creative devices to work on.

I got a Rytm for the same reason stated above. Elektron’s are fun to work on and if the OT had sounded better I for sure would not have bought the Rytm. I got the Rytm so I could have an Elektron sampler to work on and to me the DT sounded a little tinny. So, Rytm it is until Elektron decides to release a new sampler to replace the OT. I would love a Rytm, no synth business, pads, an SD card slot, slicing and all that. Would be rad but i am enjoying the limitations of Rytm’s sample abilities.

And i should not have said it was laughable, it was actually pretty sad because I enjoyed the OT, just not the sound coming out.

One thing I regret after selling DT : I didn’t record a comparison between DT and OT with the same flattering eq on high frequencies…Blind test.

Ok. I have to record something with OT and MPC 500 then…

1 Like

i sense a blind test coming on because…

…this doesn’t compute

3 Likes

FWIW, I tried to find out this morning whether and how using a Thru machine on IN AB would degrade my sound sent through the OT.

Short answer: it wouldn’t.

Extended answer

I compared direct recordings (Zoom F3 with 32bit float) of my modular case (Techno System sequence with kick, clap, and a bassline with stereo delay) with recordings from the OT’s main outs after sending the audio through the OT’s Thru machine, both in stereo (IN AB) and with summing to mono (IN A+B).

I set OT parameters to unity gain recommendations: IN AB gain 0; Thru vol +63; amp vol 0; track level 127; main level 0. All fx set to none, no master track.

I found that sending the correct signal level into the OT was critical; after some trial and error, I set the input signal so that the LEDs were continuously green with slight orange flickers on the peaks. With this setting, I noted a 2dB drop in average loudness between recording the sound source directly and through the OT. After loudness normalization, the waveforms looked identical (see below; 1st track direct recording, 2nd track OT Thru AB, 3rd track OT Thru A+B (NB: L and R of the OT recordings are inverted compared to the direct recording; also bear in mind that these are not a samples, but separate recordings of analog modules.)). I also tried to send a hotter signal into the OT, but found that the wave shape appeared distorted as soon as the LEDs turned constantly to orange.

I also compared plots of the frequency spectra to identify possible frequency losses. In my understanding, the three plots (before normalization therefore different vertical scales) show strictly the same frequency distribution (apart a clear cutoff above 20kHz for the audio going through the OT). I was especially happy that the mono summing of the stereo signal did not seem to result in any phase-cancellation related frequency losses.

I am no audio expert, but I am pretty reassured by my observations. Still, a better indicator on the OT for setting the input signal would be welcome…

6 Likes

The easiest way to explain it was the MPC sounded fuller and the OT seemed muffled in comparison. It wasn’t a subtle thing, it was very audible and again, the only reason I sold the OT. And again laughable was the wrong word, it was a bummer.

I knew this would turn into an “Octatrack sound quality” thread :laughing:

9 Likes

I’m pretty sure that’s when using a balanced connection vs unbalanced in general, actually, regardless of whether the output is balanced or not.

What MPC were you using?

@lowph
you are correct. there is definitely overdrive and therefore artefacts.

I am so happy to see a healthy thread, but too bad the OT is dead in the water for a clean reproduction of the samples (until further testing).

Using this same “sine” wave, I will see if I can get the dB there without significant artefacts… but I sense forthcoming existential crisis with failure to meet the goal.

:cowboy_hat_face: :popcorn:

1 Like

i recently recorded an octatrack only set that surprisingly made my apogee ensemble line ins clip, had to lower MAIN by 10 or so (it wasn’t audible distorting on the headphones out). seems it can go loud enough. i think the freedom of gainstaging in multiple places can be a drawback if you’re not conscious about it (same with the AR for me, you have to work on gainstaging to make that one sing)

don’t want to fuel the sound quality discussion too much, but octa conversion feels a bit ‘laidback’ to me (which is no loss i think). though it doesn’t always work well for some material if you use it as a simple stem playback machine with busy material. but if you use it as a ‘composition’ tool with lots of plocks (=creating interesting dynamics) it can sound really amazingballz <3

3 Likes

MPC 1000 and MPC Live

also comparing with akai is a bit of an apple/orange thing to me. i used to hoard hardware samplers and ofc an s950 or S1000 will slap you kick/snares in the face real hard with prominent transients (harder than an mpc1000 imho), but an e6400 could produce roaring basses where the akais could only dream of. they all have their qualities, and for me the octa is far superior as a ‘sum of all parts’ box

3 Likes

@fish
yeah i can get it to go over that level as well with effects and gain added. the former which aren’t always indicated and the latter which I am attempting to tease apart.

my concern is found with A-B comparison. The OT lacks intensity without gain added when passed through the OT signal path.

Okay! I thought I was done testing but had an idea. I realized that the normalized sample I was testing with was coming in at -18dBvu with the OT mixer set at +28. -18dBvu is the same value I use to approximate appropriate loudness for individual tracks for a -6 stereo master for prep for mastering engineer, and +28 is approximately the value others have reported using to hit unity. (before anyone says anything, I use my ear after I approximate -18 for mixing purposes.)

with this idea in mind, I sent that same sample through the OT again into the DAW, matched it to -18dBvu by brining OT mixer to +28, duplicated the input 8 times and the bus including all 8 inputs came almost exactly to 0dBvu.

This is clearly a work around Elektron implemented in order to permit the usage of track 8 as the master channel or as a separate track. They probably wanted to cap 7 tracks at 0dBvu to prevent people from frying sound systems, redlining too hard and complaining about sound quality when they are actually clipping.

IDK, I’d still rather have a switch for that option, but for now, I will probably set my Main and Cue channels to + 22-28. to be refined later.

here is a picture of that silliness if anyone is curious. sorry the DAW VU meter got cut, but you can compare the spectrum to comparable spectrums and vu meters. I closed the experiment before realizing the error. but case closed as far as I care. burned out on it x_,X

With identical signal you add 3db gain for each. Not real life use.

Master Level +22 ? Beware of MAIN recordings, this setting is taken in account, you main distort recordings.