Is the A4 with its four voices now "out of date"?

I just bought an AK without fully realising that the A4 is effectively “End of Life” by Elektron standards (at 5 years old.) It’s my first analogue, so this is my fault.

More than that though, I’m already sick of the four voice limitation. When I tell people, perhaps not into hardware, that I can only play four notes simultaneously… They honestly can’t comprehend it. Yes, I push the sequencer and Sound Locks hard etc, but it’s so frustrating to not be able to play a three note chord reliably.

Then I look around at the new wave of analogue synths now offering 8 or 12 voices, and I honestly question if I’ve made a mistake and bought something “out of date” for top dollar.

Anyone relate? Or am I being unfair?

3 Likes

Honestly, I’m kind of in the same boat. I just got an A4 and I’m considering selling it to pick up a DeepMind desktop so I can have the more voices and the extra FX. Or perhaps a prophet of some sort.

1 Like

As a 4 voice poly? Yeah there are limitations - there always have been though.

As a 4 voice mono/mix and match type thing with that sequencer? I still don’t think there’s anything quite like it.

I have battled with thinking about selling it umpteen times. Part of me thinks a traditional poly is what I’m after (I have my eye on that Deepmind module). But a traditional poly + the A4/K’s tracks would be a cracking combo.

14 Likes

I would say Analog Four at first it’s 4 mono Synth… (they just give an update to use it as a poly mode)
And there’s a lot of mono Synth in hardware and software and it will always have new mono synth to be release. That’s not because these synth are Mono they are “out of date”

A mono Synth is not intended to be use as a Synth for Chords but more for Bass, Lead, Pluck, Fx all of that is perfect on a Mono Synth.

Generally speaking it’s good (like VST) to have a good Mono Synth, a good Poly Synth (if possible Multi-Timbral), a FM Synth (do FM Synth is out of date : of course not), a good digital synth, something with wavetable, something with granular…

So then as you covered every Sound Synthesis Method… You can explore a large area of sounds.

But on a mono Synth you can do Chordish sounds with Unison, 5th the sub-osc etc…
it’s just not really his territory, but it will be the king in Bass, Lead, Pluck and more… also the Glide function is cool etc…

12 Likes

Also every synth will sound different, there’s Sounds you can do with A4 that no other synth will able to make the same (sound-lock for instance)

That’s why you need few synth in your studio to cover a large territory.
The A4 is not out of date, but if you’re a player of course you need a poly-synth with more Voices to feel comfortable when playing

If I were a keyboardist I would go to Clavia Nord Stage or Korg Kronos or Yamaha Montage
And if Synth Nerd : Dave Smith Instruments OB-6

5 Likes

You cant play a 3 note chord with a 4 voice poly synth? Are you sure?

1 Like

He said :
four notes

He said ‘but it’s so frustrating to not be able to play a three note chord reliably.’

2 Likes

Right he said that too :joy:

2 Likes

There have been analog polys since the 70s80s, the A4 wasn’t out of date when it was released and it certainly isn’t out of date now - I have never looked upon it as a 4 voice synth in the way you’d think of an original prophet as a 5 voice - it is absolutely in its element as 4 mono synths - buying it as something other than that is where the mistake may have occurred - it’s still an awesome instrument, it just may not be the right thing for your needs (i.e. if you really wanted a normal poly with )

It’s just not logical to leave out the sequencer when considering the strengths of the Elektrons, in that regard they are far from out of date - there’s nothing better in terms of an integrated package

The A4 is so deep, it also CV sequences and is a virtual modular x4 sonically

Nowhere near ‘out of date’, maybe not the right thing for everyone, but that’s a different question

24 Likes

[quote=“Dusk1983, post:1, topic:38623”]but it’s so frustrating to not be able to play a three note chord reliably.
[/quote]

They did say 3 notes.

At any rate, no, you didn’t buy something out of date, unless analog synths are out of date to begin with. I tend to look at synths with 8-12 voices and only monotimbral or bi-timbral modes as out of date and limited. The majority of modern synth stuff is mono focused anyway. In my opinion, extended chord voicing do not work with thick and complex synth voices. I think it is better to break the chordal harmonies into multiple voices doing different sounds. Think of western orchestral music, most of the instruments are monophonic in nature, but that doesn’t stop you from expressing complex harmonic structures. On the other hand, because of the incredibly flexible voice management system of the A4/K you can do things that a 12 voice synth with less sophisticated voice management couldn’t dream of doing. You can have a full drum track/beat on a single voice, a four part paraphonic block chord, a bass and a lead or pad sound all being produced with “just” those 4 voices. I wouldn’t think of the A4 as a polysynth (even though it is great at that within it’s 4 voice limitation), but more of an analog workstation. I actually think it’s pretty damn futuristic! If that sort of thing is really what you are looking for though, it pairs really well with a more traditional polysynth.:+1:

5 Likes

I assume by reliably they just mean you can’t have a 3-note chordal part while you’re still trying to use it for other things, due to inevitable voice stealing.

1 Like

Show me another 4 voice analog that can either be four monosynths or a 4 voice poly with the same fx, modulations, general options and SEQUENCER and I’ll consider your claim that the A4 is out of date. : )

5 Likes

I wouldn’t worry about if it is “out of date”, but rather determine if it fills your musical requirements. I have a moog little phatty that I got in 09, it has only one two oscillator voice with one filter and one amp and small modulation section, it cost more than your A4. If I had a choice to turn it in for something new, I would not do it. I completely love the sound and the way it works, and it will always be the same in the future, I’ll probably love it just as much in 20 years and still be squeezing new sounds out of it.
Do you really need lots of poly? If so I’d think about trading or sell/buy something else, but not because some other people think it’s weird, only if you think that’s what you really want/need to express your music.
The A4 is a very advanced piece of gear that can do amazing things, it will do the same long after they stop making them…
The question is, do you like what it does and how it sounds?, are you willing to dive in deep and see what it really does with what it has?, or are there basic things missing like lots of poly that you really want to be able to express yourself?

6 Likes

I would say no, it’s not out of date because it only has 4 voices. In fact, out of date in my opinion doesn’t even apply to a monosynth, if it has a great sound engine. I’m not just saying this because I want to believe my A4 will last forever!! I actually bought a deepmind 12 and use it with the A4. As nice as the DM12 is, it’s not an analog drum machine, like the A4. I like some of the grit in the A4 for basses and leads better than the DM12, but the 12 is great for pads, and arp performance. They work well together. IF I had to choose one… it would be a hard decision. There will always be something bigger and better on the horizon. The key is, can it do what you want it to do, and can you make that a reality?

2 Likes

Well whatever you do you only have 4 voices to play with. Doing other stuff over a 3 chord note often ends up in voice stealing territory because more than 4 voices are trying to be utilised, unless the a4 has other hidden limitations.

Thats the sort of combo I have in my head. A4 dealing with bass/leads/drums with DM doing pads and nice chord stabs and things.

I still haven’t even looked into sound pools properly for drum kits and things. Had a half arsed attempt at one there (piggy backing on something left in the machine for the guy I bought it from) and had such fun. I’m so lazy at learning things haha.

Eh, just change the wording in your title and post. Scratch the controversial “out of date” phrase. MS20 isn’t out of date. Korg Monologue isn’t out of date. One voice synths! You just want/need more voices sometimes, that’s all. Buy something with more voices to scratch that itch. Keep the A4 for what it does best. Simple pimple.

No, A4 is probably one of the best synths ever made, the amount of control over the voices per step is unparalleled, the people who can’t comprehend it are out of date though.

21 Likes

A good analog synth is like wine, it gets better with age.

5 Likes