Is switching parts smoother on OTmkII?

I was just watching @Dataline’s “Octatrack MkII Live resampling” video for a brain-refresher course.

He’s using Thru machines on part 1, recording to their respective buffers.

Then he switches to part 2 with Flex playback, and there’s not even a hiccup.

I’m on MkI and there’s very obviously some hiccups during part changes.

I created a new project to test before posting here.

The only difference between parts, as of this moment, is that Part 1 is Thru machines on T1 and T5, with Part 2 having Flex machines on T1 and T5.

The pattern stays the same.

I switch to Part 2 and it’s noticeably louder (with the exact same settings per Part).

Then I switch back to Part 1 and it does some sort of turntable “whoosh” sound.

There is nothing happening with regard to LFO, FX, or anything at all.

I’m waiting for a video to upload now and will post it in a moment.

p.s. not sure why I can’t get Flex track 5 to playback in the new scene, either. You can see it records in Part 1 and does not playback in Part 2. oh my goodness.

Direct part changes can be glitchy. I can try to reproduce but could you give more details on your set up?
What coming in Thru, samples or recordings in Flex ?

3 Likes

Input AB is digitakt on Part 1’s Thru Machine.

Input C is microFreak on Part 1’s Thru Machine.

Recorder trigs are placed on both Thru tracks, T1 and T5, with playback trigs also placed on step 1.

Part 2 is exactly the same except T1 and T5 are Flex machines playing back their respective buffers, which is supposed to play back exactly what the Thru machines were playing.

1 Like

Ok I tested, new project, Part 1 (Thru) and Part 2 (Flex).

From P1 to P2, it cuts the sound until the Flex is played, and from P2 to P1 it reverses the sound, nice glitch btw !

No level difference with unity settings (+63 for THRU PLAYBACK VOL).

Assigning the 2 parts to 2 different patterns : can’t hear the transition.
A1(P1) > A2(P2)

1 Like

@sezare56, you are awesome.

So it looks like I’ll do two identical patterns* and do my switcharoo thatta way.

I wonder how dataline did it so smooth. (As I’ve often wondered)

*linked to different parts

1 Like

So fast and precise gestures! Like if it was accelerated and time stretched (not talking about the beginning) ! But the tempo corresponds!:rocket:
Concerning that transition, what is timing of the video?

2 Likes

This is the same set up in this video as the one I’m taking about but isn’t the same video. If you buy this album it comes with another how-to video. You can see the trick around 1:50. Basically any time he’s hitting the part button and up (or right arrow), he’s doing the trick I’m trying to set up.

I’ll screen record the bit of that video tonight after this gig and hopefully Cenk won’t be upset! …he walks you through his method and I’ll share just that snippet… for educational and trouble shooting purposes

2 Likes

@sezare56
Here’s a chunk of that video. I chopped it up to deliver the gist of what I’m getting at.

…removed…

so, it seems i just have to have impeccable timing on the switching of parts if I am to go this route.

i think separate patterns linked to different parts is going to be the most fail-safe approach… definitely don’t want to drop audio on the gig (unless i intend to)

this solved that issue i was having. Thank you.

1 Like

Did you ask cenk ? :sketchy:
He’s using yes/arm and one shots, so it’s recorded once. I just tested, it behaves the same.
He also uses the crossfader for the transition.
Testing…

Why don’t you keep T1 and T5 as Thru, Record them with CUE, and make a crossfader transition to a Flex a la “transition trick”?

1 Like

i don’t know. this way just makes sense to my brain and I’m cooking with hot oil now!

it’s still weird that switching parts reverses the samples, but I don’t have that issue now with the separate patterns!

i’ve been lost in la la land all afternoon.

Is this content yours to upload without approval ? If not can you remove the link. The post was flagged, I presume this must be the reason cc @Mods

Did you try copying the first part over to a second part, and then making the necessary track designations for the second? You can make an easier time of it by copying the part and pasting to another one (switch the tracks from THRU to FLEX after that), then copying the first pattern and pasting to a different one, and then assigning that second pattern to the second part.

Make sense?

I feel like that would minimize the hassle on the OTMK1.

oh, hi buddy @smelbs. come home already, would ya? i have beers

i bailed on this attempt long ago. perhaps she’s due for a revisit!