Is sampling cheating? (no of course it isn't)

If money isn’t the biggest factor, I’d defnitely just go for the Digitakt first. I got a M:S as my first ever elektron box and it was great but it was a very short time before I missed being able to sample things into it without being at a computer and changed it up for a DT.

1 Like

If 1996 me could hear now me I think they’d be pretty happy. Still just practicing/learning on the MPC Live 2 but am having quite a nice time of it.

5 Likes

Just more messy edibled practice/learning. Tonight I was trying to get my brain a bit around automation and song mode on the MPC L2

I am really enjoying just taking a single sample and then chopping it around and then building some things around it. I’m doing lots of digging around youtube for nice bits of soul for the chop.

3 Likes

With having to use a ‘third party’ to sample and get the samples into the M:S, you’ll lose a lot of the immediacy that makes the Digitakt so good.

It’s so quick and easy to sample stuff and have it playing in your track, not to mention resampling itself.

It’s also a powerful synth, regardless of sampling, able to do stuff with the ‘oscillators’ (samples) that you can’t on conventional synths. If that makes sense.

The three clips you’ve posted, especially the first and second, are brilliant demos of non-typical MPC usage and are only cementing my interest in buying a Live 2. Kudos.

1 Like

great ear on this guy

More MPC learning, this is made out of a couple of bits of arvo part and a snippet of someone playing a shakuhachi. Doesn’t do much but it’s good for my motivation to record and post stuff as I go.

More learning/trying things/practice on the MPC Live 2.

Was nice to be able to just plug in a bass and record a bassline, I really need to get better at planning/arranging my parts into sequences and then sequencing the sequences, I just dug out the DT and plugged the performance output into overbridge.

1 Like

I was going to take the night off and just play some PS5 or something but then I ended up really edibled and made this instead. Sorry.

2 Likes

do you sequence the sequence INB or via MPC?

This is so good, really good.

1 Like

Just programmed in the Live 2, this last one I managed to try out and sort of make sense of the song mode too which was nice.

1 Like

cheers mate

I just made this

entirely out of this

Which is essentially vandalism if you ask me.

1 Like

Hitting the MPC like it’s 98 again.

All sounds stolen from Bill WIthers aint no sunshine, a bit of mantiovani and a single note of a prince far I tune. Hell, I even ‘mastered’ it inside the MPC, god I am so sorry OT, I’m not sure if we can stil see each other.

(also, sorry if this thread is a bit obnoxious, I’m just finding it a very motivating place to prove to myself that I can work with just samplers and actually force myself to finish something on a single instrument so I can post it here so I can prove it to myself etc. if that makes any sense? Listen, we’ve got a complicated relationship me and me so just. go with it k?)

1 Like

More of this shit. Sorry.
(cw. flashing images)

And the first month’s worth of learning the MPC Live 2 collected in a 53 minute beat tape?!

1 Like

Some more of this shit.

1 Like

I don’t think it’s cheating, if you’re incorporating the material in a fresh new context and doing the work of making it fit just right.
Buying sample packs that are stocked with stuff that is ready to go takes a lot of the fun out of it and ends up making a lot of music sound very similar.

I got away from samples mostly because I got tired of taking 45 minutes to pick a kick drum from a library. Analog stuff set me free, shaping a single kick in different ways in the moment is much better. And digital too, the Model Cycles has one great kick machine, all I need.

But lately I have missed the coloring and flavor that a well-placed & unique sample can bring that’s sometimes just impossible to recreate. That crunchy, dusty vibe that the limitations of old samplers brought, it’s calling me back into the fray. I was looking hard at getting the Circuit Rhythm as soon as I had the extra money, never had any Novation stuff & I’ve heard good things. But now that the K.O. 2 is out, that’s right in the sweet spot for me.

I managed to get [this] stoned tonight. Just sort grabbed a couple of little samples from youtube and off I set gluing them all together