Is Octatrack right for me?

Hello, I’m new to sampling and electronic music in general and could use some advice on the right device.

I primarily need something that can play multiple samples of various lengths at the same time and sync to semi modular synths and keep them in time with the samples.

Any advice would be most welcome

Thanks

I believe a Model Samples could be enough for now. Maybe try and find one second hand so that you can resell easily.

Your description sounds less like an Elektron than something like the Blackbox, maybe…

2 Likes

Then I’d say hell no. But because I love Elektron. Yes!!! Give them yo’ dollar!

Get an MPC live

1 Like

Octatrack seems like overkill for what you want to do.
It does feel more like 1010 blackbox territory though.

4 Likes

First up, do you have any kind of computer? Some gear needs a computer to load the samples into the machine (model:samples)

Yes, what you want to do can be done, all via MIDI. Thats the thing that will sync everything up so it plays in time.

So really, anything that can play samples, and has MIDI, will do the job you want to do. Octatrack is very cool, but there are simpler less expensive options that might be what you want.

Eg.
Model:samples
Digitakt
Korg Electribe
Black Box
MPC
Ableton Live (or other DAW)

1 Like

1010 Black box is your unit

2 Likes

MPCs One or Live mk2, good quality time stretch and CV/Gate outs!

1 Like

Agree with others who have mentioned the 1010 Blackbox seems more up your alley.

I’ve not used one myself but just from watching a few in depth videos and asking some questions of people here about it, it’s obvious that it was made for simplicity. It will do what you need and quickly.

Where as the Octatrack is a whole other storage container full of worms. Most definitely overkill.

I recommend checking out the loopop BB video, and the BB thread here on Elektronauts.

2 Likes

I would say …

• If you want to have a versatile sample playback machine … no
  • If you want to use samples as raw material, which shall be processed in many creative ways … yes
1 Like