Is Octatrack good for production?

This.

I tap tempo all the time, everywhere … ignoring the numbers :drum:

this is the primary reason I could never downgrade to DT. record almost any loop in and start slicing it up and re-sequencing the slices leads to so many new sounds and directions. an excellent way to work with a modular as well: create some modular madness, chop it up and sequence it into something more useful/controlled.

oh and the effects. dark reverb FTW :raised_hands:

2 Likes

Then you can’t go wrong with either one. The OT has much more functionality, the DT is more fun. Imo of course :slight_smile: And if you buy either of them used, you can probably sell them for about the same if you think you made the wrong choice. I like to think of it as renting gear :slight_smile:

1 Like

Another vote for OT here. It’s simply a masterpiece. Yes it can be used for production, especially if you are feeding it external instruments via the four inputs rather than only using preloaded samples. It is the main hub of my setup and its midi capabilities far outdo the DT midi tracks imo

5 Likes

I love my OT for production too. I started out on an MPC, switched to DT a while back, loved how fun and easy it is, but stuff like slices, longer sample times, pickup machines and the arranger eventually lured me into OT so I got an mk2 about a year ago. Also with live performance in the back of my mind and I prepared a few of my tracks in OT, but well the current situation made me focus on making new stuff.
I use it for sampling guitar stuff I play and for making beats mostly. It takes some time until you start to get it but once you do it’s great. I’m sure most of what I use it for you can do in a DAW in much less time, but don’t really care about efficiency when I’m working on my music, I just want to have a good time and avoid looking at my laptop as much as I can. OT and DT both made that possible so I don’t think you can go wrong with either one. The choice just depends on what you want to do specifically.

3 Likes

nothing wrong with talking instruments with likeminded folk on a music forum, it’s good for your health and won’t take anything away from your hands on experience when you get it.

2 Likes

all you people that have had or own both an octatrack and a Digitakt doesn’t the octatrack feel better with it’s additional sampling capabilities like the slicing etc… for those of you who are majority sample based producers or is that not the case, I ask because allot of people who’ve had both seem to have found it easier to let their octatrack go rather than their Digitakt and often plan on re-purchasing the octa again at a later time (which shows the love of the octa too no doubt) but if you’re doing allot of sample based composition what is it that you guys are liking in the Digitakt that you would choose it over the octatrack even though for example , it doesn’t even have a sample slicer?
would love to hear your insights on this

1 Like

I’m sure it does but that wasn’t the question, someone earlier had said it doesn’t do bpm per pattern, and then others corrected that and let me know that it does

Just ordered OT. Thanks again for everyones input!

13 Likes

I think the main reason a lot of producers hold on to the DT as opposed to the OT is Overbridge. I own both and yes they are both samplers but they are very different instruments. The DT is primarily a drum machine in both sampling and midi. Interfacing the DT to the computer is a super powerful advantage over the OT because it only needs a usb cable and your basically done. Now imagine using a powerful DAW like Ableton Live with the DT and you have the best of both worlds.
The OT on the other hand does not require a computer because it’s a hub onto itself and can do some of the things that Ableton Live can do, most importantly sample stretching, mangling and also has a song mode. Now they both have 8 midi tracks but they operate differently with some similarities. For instance with the DT you can access all 8 midi tracks simultaneously which allows you to perform live across 8 different midi channels, that’s not possible with the OT. With the OT you can only access one midi channel at a time but you get more options per midi channel ie lfos and an arp. The problem with the OT is you have limited mixing options at the end when it comes time to record and master your song. You get a maximum of four audio outputs to multi track your recording and there’s the rub. You want the OT to be your hub but it’s one of the most limiting Elektron devices in terms of separate audio outs.

8 Likes

The DT doesn’t have a proper sample slicer but it still can effectively slice samples. The DT doesn’t have time stretching nor disk streaming so your limited in that respect. This can open some creative doors for you though. For instance let’s say you recorded something off an old record and you want to get a perfect loop? You can’t time stretch it so you start playing with the pitch and bpm. That process just took you into a different perspective that you didn’t start off with and that feeds your creativity. This is why a lot of boom bap and lofi hip hop have that certain funk in the rhythm. It’s in the tiny imperfections that give the track life.

5 Likes

Are you recording dt per channel in daw? I’m hitting this point where I could record per track and lose effects. Or I could compose entirely and then record by muting things. Or I could just start with my push 2. Bridging the gap has me at a bit of a loss.

Yes I recorded separate tracks into daw dry. I stop using the internal effects but there is an option to record the effects sends on a separate track. You’ll need to go to your audio routing page on the DT and turn off all your tracks that are being routed to your main outs. This will allow your main outs to only record the effects on its own separate track in Overbridge.

The workflow of the DT is a little more straight forward (less features also) and the UI is a little better thought out / less complicated. Also, the DT sounds amazing.

On the other hand, I’m not sure if that impression is representative at all. I own both and I LOVE both, but if push would come to shove, I’d probably sell the DT well before I’d even consider selling the OT. The OT is just a unique thing of beauty. Given that it does a lot though and is not as focused as a DT, I can also see how for many the OT would take longer to bond/truly connect with.

3 Likes

Octatrack is great for full on productions. If you like the Octatrack and know what it does well and what it does not.

So it’s not a matter of what the OT can or can’t do. It’s a matter of your preferred way of working.

The OT has everything you need to build complete albums and shows, but if I’d offer just one word of fundamental advise, it’s to watch your source material as it goes into the OT. The one thing you can’t work yourself around, is a bad recording or a less than ideal staged sample, be it a one shot or a ten minute loop.

The EQ, compression and filters go a long way to make something sound finished in the OT, but it requires that what goes in, is in decent shape already - if your aim is to work within the OT for the purpose of finishing something that at the most, becomes a stereo track ready for master in another environment.

6 Likes

I would also say that anyone even considering making complete bodies of work equivalent to shows and albums within an instrument like the OT, is already prepared to consider limitations as possibilities. You go all hardware, you’ve left the debate on features behind for the purpose of something you’ve found is more important.

5 Likes

Totally agree with this. Sometimes I’ll just throw something into the DT and don’t worry about tempo even. Just put down some trigs and move the strt button until something sounds good. Plenty of lovely surprises

3 Likes

I think the real answer here is either for now, and both in the future :slight_smile:

I don’t own an OT, but I trust the people up here (well most anyway :slight_smile:), and an OT is probably in my future because we want to do some live streaming and performances once we get 8 tracks out there (5th track is almost done).

FWIW - The “musician friend” I mentioned earlier is actually in the band, so for Elektron gear we have 2 DTS, and a DN to work with. Once it’s safe again, we’ll get the chance to jam with the 3 of them, and I’m really looking forward to that. Composing music virtually is better than nothing, but simply isn’t as cool as being in the same room.

I sold the DT twice and still have my OT.
Digitakt has a nice interface and some cool tricks but it doesn‘t bring much to the table the ot doesn‘t do.
Overbridge would be the main argument for me pro DT.

Sampling, sample loading, file structure is better on the OT imo.
If you want chop samples or edit audio in general OT wins by a mile

1 Like

I’m sorry I’m no trying to be mean or sarcastic, but I definitely know what bpm my tracks are, and it’s definitely fun to turn the knob while everything is hooked to midi