Is my sighing Digitone haunted?

Hi. My Digitone occasionally makes these deep sighs, as if lamenting something. I think the sound comes from the reverb.

Check out this recording¹, you’ll hear the sigh at 00:15. The sigh always sounds more or less the same.

I don’t mind the sound, i quite like it. So I’m not trying to get rid of this characteristic behavior, but i would like to understand it. To me it sounds like the reverb somehow overflows and needs to de-compress whatever energy it has accumulated. Can someone explain?

Or is my Digitone haunted? :ghost:

¹ Track description

The recording is a two-track Digitone only thing, with an external compressor, an external delay, and an external reverb effect whose volume Digitone also modulates with a MIDI LFO. That is the main movement of the piece. All three effects are running on a monome norns.

2 Likes

Ghosts in the machine?

2 Likes

3 Likes

Yep. Its the reverb. If you over load it you get artifacts/distortion/feedback what ever you want to call it.

Lots of reverbs do it. Some do it in a pleasing way, some dont. If you can make a feature of it then fuck yeah.

2 Likes

Your sighs sound like a train going choochoo mine sound like train wheels grinding on rails haha

This happens with pretty much all reverbs though. Just need to fine tune it. Which can be… “fun” :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

Reminds me of this…

https://youtube.com/clip/UgkxFMyXC5CrIDTEHnPqAH2aDl5RVMm3nG_1

3 Likes

I’m too scared to listen to it

10 Likes

Oh… You weren’t supposed to find that. Every device in the Digi series contains the soul of a sacrificed pixie. You are indeed hearing its listless lament. However, that is where the magic comes from.

You don’t want to know where the Analog, MD, or MM magic comes from…

7 Likes

I’ve been having these ghostly appearances also some time ago. Sadly it turned out to be just bugs when asking Elektron about it. They have acknowledged it and still do have it on their list afaik. Last time I contacted support they said it wasn’t an easy fix and they couldn’t make it for 1.32…

3 Likes

Thanks @B_LD, that’s the haunted weep exactly! :ghost::link:

I can confirm this sound too. Well I certainly do NOT like it but for live usage it’s pretty harmless. But if you record stuff you don’t want to get this (or any random sounds) to your tracks, right? I certainly hope they will fix it some day, sooner the better.

Actually it doesn’t do much harm to recordings unless you record directly through USB. Overbridge and Main Outs are not haunted from my experience.

I actually really like that sound it does you pointed out. I’ve heard a very similar sound in some dnb and I can’t help but wonder those guys, too, overloaded their reverb to get it to ‘glitch out’?

Hmmmm…ideas formulating and evil maniacal grin intensifying

1 Like

I got something similar from the M8 recently, where the reverb did a dramatic exhale… it sounded pretty cool…

Elvis?

1 Like

hey fam!

I’ve been using the Digitone for years and I’ve always heard these “ghostly” artifacts that you can hear in the beginning, at the middle of the motive.

My guess is that these are coming from voicing issues, producing an audio artifact that through reverb’s diffusion creates this audible ghost-talk(? when I put down the reverb send, I can play for hours and it’s not happening.
Are you experiencing the same? Not sure if I can fix this by tweaking the voicing setup.

at this point I got so used to that I even have an emotional connection x) but sometimes I’d like to keep it quiet…

1 Like