Is Model Samples for me?

Hello, this is probably a stupid/lazy question but I’m in self isolation and want to order something quickly so please bear with me.

I own no Elektron gear and wonder if the Model Samples is for me (or if I should get something else) based on the below:

• I want something simple and intuitive.
  • I only want to make beats, at least at this stage
  • I need the channels on different tracks in my DAW but it’s fine if I can do that via usb
  • I need more than 6 samples for each pattern but I have no problem with multiple samples sharing a track
  • If I can play and sample (live) for example my Korg Wavedrum straight to a track that would be great.

I really would appreciate some replies!

So the Model:Samples doesn’t actually sample. You’d have to sample your Korg into a DAW/Wav editor, export, then transfer to M:S via transfer app.

The M:S can do USB audio, but only the Stereo mix. You have to record each track separately one by one into your DAW if you want separate channels.

You can only have 24 different sample locks per pattern, 6 of which are the samples loaded directly to the tracks themselves. So basically you can have up to 18 different samples locked per pattern, or about 3 extra per track.

M:S definitely has simplicity and immediacy, but most other things you want are limited. I would recommend the Digitakt if you can spring for it.

3 Likes

I think for everything except for the last bullet point you should be good. The model samples doesn’t allow for live samplin’.

1 Like

Thank you so much!
That last point would just be a bonus.
That it can only export the stereo mix is worse but as you say I could work around it.

Immediacy was the word I was looking for, how is the Digitakt in that regard?

You can’t get individual tracks into a daw. Only the stereo output.

1 Like

From what I understand, I can transfer multiple tracks with Overbridge and Model Samples doesn’t support it?

Model samples does not support overbridge. It has class compliant audio through usb though, which provides a stereo signal.

4 Likes

Your criteria are exactly matched by the Digitakt. Don’t limit yourself or compromise with bouncing individual tracks one at a time into a DAW like you would have to do with M:S. Or waste time making samples in a DAW to transfer them over to M:S. You will get much more mileage out of the 8 tracks in Digitakt plus you can record each of the outputs individually into a DAW with Overbridge and you can even automate the DT from your DAW at the same time :wink:

Plus, you can get them fairly cheaply on the second hand market now. Go DT

5 Likes

Yes, DT seems perfect for you, if mono samples ok for you.
Check the Cuckoo’s DT mega tutorial, it will help you to decide to get it or not and learn more about it. It’s long but worth it:

2 Likes

Both M:S and DT are solid boxes that have their own strengths and weaknesses. I know DT is the more advanced machine but it comes at a cost of complexity and it could be argued that the M:S is more immediate and easy to use. Even though they share the same Elektron sequencer DNA there are some differences that are more than skin deep.

For example, the sample management is different, With the DT you need to load samples into the “pool” of a project to be able to do sample locking (switch samples on different steps, a key part of Elektron workflow) whereas the M:S can lock any sample on the unit onto any step on any project so you don’t need to plan ahead. Also, the knob-per-function design on the M:S can makes things more immediate as you don’t have to switch pages to reach different behaviours. It has more simple sound design tools for sure but they are right in front of you. So with the filter you have a dual LP/HP filter on a single knob (much like some DJ mixers) and it’s always there. Same with delay and reverb send, sample start and length, pitch, LFO speed etc so as a performance/jamming tool I think it’s probably better in many ways. The DT has the more advanced tools but you have to navigate through different pages of controls for the 8 knobs. It’s not a criticism as such, but it’s a different workflow.

If the ability to stream each track into your DAW is a vital feature for you then the DT wins by default but don’t overlook the M:S if you want a cheap, fun tools to make beats - it’s a great little box. I think we can all agree that the joy of Elektron boxes is that they can do a hell of a lot more than the features might suggest.

4 Likes

Thank you all!
tallrobphilp:s points are all very valid for me (plus M:S is so cheap I could always expand/upgrade later).

Just one last question (I think): how would I transfer individual tracks with M:S (the “workaround”)? Would I “old school” mute some of the tracks and transfer the stereo mix via USB? It’s not something I would do daily, I would work on them on the machine and transfer when it’s time to finish the song. So I don’t mind it being a bit of a hassle, it just has to be possible.

Thanks, will look through this before I decide.

wait before
Maybe also talk about what’s cool to do with a sampler;)

*Manage bank >MS
or
*Sampling and manage >DT

maybe both!
this is my case and i am very happy to mx with them
:slight_smile:

1 Like

As far as I know that’s exactly how it would work. I’m getting my M:S delivered today (former Digitakt owner of about 2 years) so I’m gonna be testing some things out myself, but I imagine there’s two ways you could go about this:

1. Mute all but one track, record that track, then move to the next recording one by one.

2. I imagine this would work, but I haven’t done this in practice; mute all but 2 tracks, pan one hard left, the other hard right, and send each channel to a separate track in DAW. This is even better if your DAW supports mono tracks. You would most likely have to forgo any built in reverb/delay/panning and use the daw instead, but with the M:S being mono samples anyways it shouldn’t change the sound much. Again, I haven’t tried this myself yet so I’m not sure, but theoretically this can drop it from recording 6 times to only 3 times.

@AdamJay seems to be very handy with the M:S and can most likely offer some good insights to what would be the best method.

2 Likes

Thanks,
Solution #2 brings me back to my old Tascam porta :smiley: which actually is kind of tempting even if it is a workaround. Showing my age here…

I was leaning towards the M:S but that Digitakt tutorial was brilliant and made the decision harder because it looks very logical in it’s workflow. All the gear looks awesome and I will get one of the “big boys” at some point but I want something small and simple to begin with. I’ve never used a hardware sampler and my only drum machine experience is with a Alesis SR 16 (when I was a teenager) and a Korg Electribe…

(Edit: That was in reply to Datastrain)

1 Like

The m:s reminds me the spirit of the first electribes

2 Likes

Saw the “MS guy” bat signal and got here is fast as I could…

@Peary, check out this post and thread:
How do you record 'a song' from Model:Samples?

4 Likes

Wow, thanks! I think that workflow would suit me.

Overall I’m so impressed with this forum, great answers and zero snobbism (so far :smiley: )

1 Like

Or you could do it “the other way”: “mix” it as good as possible in the m:s (which sounds pretty good already), then say “fuck it” and record the final track in one take and be done with it. Lazy style, my favorite.

3 Likes

:smiley: I like the idea of just going with what you’ve done but I think I’ll probably need 4 tracks: 1) Kick, 2) “mid”, 3) hihats 4) cymbals and “hits”. Or at least kicks and hihats on separate tracks.